Place to park a car for 3 days while in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And the catch is, we'd rather not take the car with us into Manhattan. Does anyone know what we could do--we'd like to take the train in from a NJ suburb but still have a car to come back to when our weekend is done. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 01:38 PM

Others can probably give you better advice, but I recall the Metropark stop just north of New Brunswick has a huge parking lot, and that train line (the NE direct I think?) runs all weekend -- I think it's a 45 minute ride to the city. I'd stay with that line, I think it has the most trains - some lines don't run at all over the weekend. There is also a new station in Secaucus, only a few miles short of the Lincoln Tunnel, which might be worth looking into.

Another option is be parking at the ferry in Weehawken and taking the ferry over.

I think any of those would be safe.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 02:06 PM

Hoboken, NJ is just across the river. There are several parking garages over there and you have the option of taking the ferry, bus, or path train over to NYC, none of which take very long at all. This is a good option to consider.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 02:21 PM

When my friends visit from down south, they park at Metropark station and take the NJ Transit train in.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 03:17 PM

The nearer you drive to the city, the more expensive the parking is likely to be. In Weehawken, I believe the ferry parking is at least $5 per day (not too bad). Parking garages in Hoboken are more expensive than that by far. I think most train stations on the NJ transit lines have fixed rate parking at $3 per day. I live in Union, NJ and that's what it is on my train line. You can pay in advance for the number of days you'll be parking, and then take the train to NYC from any station. You can locate the best place for where you're coming from and decide. Alternately, there is a park & ride site on the NJ Turnpike where you can take the bus into the city as well. Info at www.njtransit.com