Orlando: Need ideas for a side trip or two for spring break

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fodorites. Hubby and I are taking our 16 yr old son to Orlando for 5 days in March. There is only one definite must-do on our hastily-being-drawn-up itinerary so far: Universal - specifically the new Harry Potter attraction. We're staying at one of the Universal hotels, and haven't decided yet if we should stay there for all 5 nights, or maybe move somewhere else, depending on where we're going.

We'd like to ask for some suggestions on what else we can do during our stay. Assuming that we use up 2 days at Universal, any ideas on what else we can do? Not planning to go to Mickey-land, unless we happen to have extra time. Not going to Sea World either, and no to the beaches either - still too cold.

Cape Canaveral was suggested by my husband. Other than that, we are stumped. He said he did not want to drive all the way to Miami. We're flying in but renting a car. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 10:39 AM

If you're looking for a day at the beach, try Daytona Beach, Cocoa Beach, or Melbourne Beach, all of which are a little over an hour's drive from Orlando. While in Orlando, we did a swamp tour. We enjoyed it, but didn't see any alligators until we got on the highway on our way back to Orlando!
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 01:25 PM

St. Augustine is off the radar of most tourists to Orlando, but well worth visiting for 2-3 days. It is America's oldest city and has tons of history. Also good and reasonable restaurants, art galleries, shopping (2 outlet malls) plus sportfishing, golf, etc. Here are a few links to get you thinking about it:

http://staugustine.com/visitors-guide
http://www.floridashistoriccoast.com
http://www.augustine.com

Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 01:38 PM

When is spring break, generally? I want to be sure to stay home.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 01:49 PM

maribeth~it can be anywhere from mid-March to the end of April. Some schools center it around Easter; this year, Easter is April 24, but my daughter's school is out for break April 4-8.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:00 PM

I would stay around Orlando... Universal is at least three full days and you could add waterparks, golf, and a day trip to the beach... but then come back to universal...
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 04:55 PM

The Harry Potter park is wonderful. I am not a park person but we are all rabid Potter fans so I surprised our family of seven with thanksgiving at Universal. The HP world was wall to wall people and will be even more crowded when you are going. Glad you are staying on property; make sure you take advantage of it and go in at 8 am. The park closed to all but timed entry by 9:30 every day we were there. You should know that the main ride at the castle has a separate, FAST line for single riders. Make sure you get in it and you can usually just circle back and get on again in that same line early in the am.

Two days will be enough for HP, plus at least one other for the rest of Universal and Islands of Adventure. A water park day, tennis or golf ( or a lesson if you are so inclined) and your trip to Cape Canaveral and there are your five days. I don't know if you have been there before, but Mythos at Universal is not a bad restaurant. There should be some sort of concert at city walk while you are there (or at Hard Rock) and there is an IMax theater there as well. You can stay as busy as you like.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied. Our little vacation is rapidly taking shape. It's now looking like we're going to be staying at either the Portofino or Hard Rock Hotel for the entire length of our stay. We're most likely extending our stay to six days.

Vic, thanks for the heads up about St. Augustine - we'll keep that on the back burner for another trip.

For now, the rough schedule looks like this:

1. 2 days, maybe 3 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure. Our son just about died when he heard that one of his favorite groups, OneRepublic, is having a concert at Universal on our last night, so I guess that's another must-do. If it were up to me, I would move the trip two weeks forward so I can go to the Lynyrd Skynyrd concert, but I digress.

2. Cape Canaveral - Have never been there. Does this take all day?

3. Gatorland or a Swamp Tour - if we had to pick one (have never been to either), what do you recommend? Or should we go to both?

4. Beach Day - maybe Daytona or Cocoa Beach. I'm not much of a sun-worshipper, but DH and DS are, so this one's for them. I was wondering if there's anything for me to do in the area while they have their fill of the beach? Or maybe just stay at the hotel/park and get lazy.... Years ago, I attended a cooking class at WDW while the kids and DH rode went back for more Mickey time. Now that was nice.....

Kswl2 - that was such a wonderful Thanksgiving surprise for your family! I surprised my son with a spur-of-the-moment fall break trip to Universal two years ago (just the two of us), and he still talks about it to this day. What made it doubly fun was it coincided with the Halloween Nights. He loved all the shows!

We did have a late lunch at Mythos during that trip - a very welcome respite for my tired feet!

One more question. While we've stayed at the Portofino three times, we've never been to the Hard Rock Hotel. For those who have stayed at both hotels, what do you think?

Thanks again!
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 06:41 PM

I've been to Gatorland and if swampland is comparable, I don't recommend either.

A down day would be preferable. Or, if your son is just starting to look at schools, why not take a tour of UCF? Even if he has no interest in the school, just looking at a wide variety of them is a good experience--- the no's help strengthen your ideas about what you Do want. Our last kid especially got better at asking questions and evaluating the department of his interest with each college we visited. . . Just a thought.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 06:41 PM

"2. Cape Canaveral - Have never been there. Does this take all day? "
If you mean Kennedy Space Center, yes...pretty much the whole day. At least ¾ of a day.

"4. Beach Day - maybe Daytona or Cocoa Beach. I'm not much of a sun-worshipper, but DH and DS are, so this one's for them. I was wondering if there's anything for me to do in the area while they have their fill of the beach?"

IMO, Cocoa Beach is a better choice. While everyone else is at the beach, you could visit Ron Jon Surf Shop http://www.ronjonsurfshop.com which is a tourist destination of its own. Nearby, at the St. John's river on SR 528, you could go for an airboat ride at Lone Cabbage Fish Camp http://twisterairboatrides.tripod.com/cabbage.htm
Finally, you could go shopping at the Merritt Square Mall http://www.merrittsquaremall.com/index.cfm

Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 05:15 AM

Hard Rock has that "cool" feel for your son, but is crazy crowded at spring break... if you personally can handle the crush of rock n' roll, your kid will love it.... our teens still talk about it...
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 05:25 AM

Correction: Lone Cabbage Fish Camp is reached via SR 520 (not SR 528 as I wrongly reported). The link to the airboat rides is here: http://twisterairboatrides.tripod.com/index.html

Old Feb 4th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

gary: If that means we're getting bonus points from our easy-to-please teen, then we're going with the Hard Rock Hotel.

So for now, it's 2 days Universal Studios/IOA, 1 day at Cape Canaveral, 1 day down time/parasailing, maybe go back to Universal for 1 more day and see the Mardi Gras parade and OneRepublic concert for our last night.

Went on universalorlando.com and picked a package that included hotel, early admission access to the IOA, breakfast at the Three Broomsticks, and replaced the 4-day base tickets with the 7-day park-to-park tickets (5 or 6 days are not available).

Made one lunch and two dinner reservations with opentable.com.

I guess we're all set. Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 06:13 PM

Have a great time. If you have any young friends or relatives needing presents anytime soon, don't miss a stop at Zonko's. They have lots of fun gifts, including chocolate frogs, Ten ton tongue toffee and (according to my nephew) extendible ears that really work.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Kswl2: Hmmm, those are cool things to get for presents! I'll most likely end up with a lot of down time while DH and DD go coasting on the Dragon Challenge ad nauseum. Still in the process of talking myself into trying that ride - biggest chicken that I am.

Oh well, all the more time to try the butterbeer and shop for presents that will make me the coolest person in the midwest.

Thank you for the heads up!