NYC Weekend late February

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are two New England couples, friends from college days (we are now all 50) celebrating not seeing each other in ages/belated Valentines with a weekend in the City. Staying at the Westin Times Square and looking for dinner suggestions where we don't have to dress too fancy yet with kind of an intimate type feel where we can just eat great food, drink some wine and enjoy catching up. Co worker suggestions include: Gramercy Tavern, the Boathouse, One if by Land Two if by Sea and Top of the Tower. We have a Vegan in the group as well. Also, we enjoyed a great late night in Chicago recently at a dueling piano bar but have read disappointing reviews about Sweet Carolines. Any suggestions about dinner and after would be appreciated.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 01:18 PM

What do you mean by "too fancy"? Most places, even the highest-line places, have relaxed their dress codes. A fellow can wear slacks and a sport coat with a sweater and no tie, and women can dress similarly. Jeans would be appropriate in some of the lesser places, but even many better places don't care any more.

Of the places on your list, Gramercy is a great choice, the Boathouse less so. OibLTibS is said to be better than it used to be--a new chef, apparently, and still a "romantic" room, if a little stuffy, as defined by the number of fireplaces and a live piano player. Don't know what you mean by Top of the Tower--to my knowledge, there is no such place.

Virtually any restaurant of any quality can accommodate a vegan's requirements. Inquire when you make your reservation. One member of our post-Met Opera matinée dining "gang" is a vegan and she never has had a problem anywhere.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 02:20 PM

Top of the Tower is on top of the Beekman Hotel on the east side just north of the UN.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 02:33 PM

Check out chowhound.com (Manhattan board) Lots of info.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 04:35 PM

I must say that seems a mixed bag.

As far as I know OIBYTIBS is still not really up to par. And I thought it was primarily a bar on top of the Beekman - but I may be wrong.

To suit a vegan I would have a look at the menu of each place on menupages.com -to see if anything they have seem to have potential.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Appreciate all the responses so far. Will check out Chowhound and Menupages-thanks
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 06:46 AM

Thanks, Ellenem. TotT is completely off our radar and not in the Zagat Guide. To the OP, remember the old chestnut, "The quality of a restaurant is generally inversely proportional to its elevation above sea level." (Also, I might add, to the length of the tassel on the menu!)
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 06:49 AM

(Also, I might add, to the length of the tassel on the menu!)

What about shoes?
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 05:35 AM

Of the list you were given, only Gramercy Tavern is considered top notch food but it is pricey. They do have a vegetarian tasting menu. http://www.gramercytavern.com/_media...ting_menus.pdf

The other places on your list are known more for views/setting than for food. I think the Boat House is lovely, but nicer during the day with the view. I actually don't think it's open for dinner at this time of year. You might consider going for "brunch" which they start serving on weekends at 9:30. If you go when they open, the wait isn't too long. Or, go for lunch if you're here on a weekday when they take reservations. One if by Land is sort of old fashioned "continental" food. It's one of the few places that has beef wellington on the menu though and a live piano player if that interests any of you. It's known as a romantic place, good for proposals. Top of the Tower has always been somewhat off the radar as the rooftop lounge/restaurant of the Beekman Towers hotel all the way east near the UN. The view is lovely but have no idea what the food is like these days since it changed ownership. It would be a pretty far trek for you from the Westin and better, imo, for a drink and some music.

None of these places is particularly near your hotel. The 21club.com has a vegetarian tasting menu and is closer than any of these, but it's one of the few places in NYC that still requires men wear a jacket for dinner. The barroom downstairs is very comfortable though and not at all stuffy and the place is classic NYC.

While people say NYC is very veggie friendly, I don't know about vegan at a non-veggie restaurant. If the rest of your group is willing to eat good veggie for a meal, Candle 79 is very nice. http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/candle-79/

menupages.com is a good website if you want to do some of your own research. Opentable.com is a website where you can book many but not all restaurants.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 06:44 AM

(What about shoes?)

Yes, Warren, the quality of a restaurant's shoes is inversely proportional to the height of their tassels above sea level.