Orlando hotels and activities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or actually Clermont, FL. I am going to Clermont in the end of October. Are there any reasonably priced hotels that anyone would recommend? (finding a hotel in the area is easy - being someone assured that I won't regret my decision is slightly harder)

Also, are there any activities (outside of The Mouse) or areas that I really shouldn't miss while I'm there? (Most of my time is scheduled, and of course, there's the glaringly obvious activity...but are there any that are less glaringly obvious?)

Thanks,
AB
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

anyone?
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 05:49 PM

I'm extremely familiar with Clermont but can't think of any newer hotels there; most are old Mom & Pop type places that don;t look very inviting. Why are you going to Clermont, by the way? Being more than 20 miles away from the area attractions, it's not a place many would choose to stay without a specific reason.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

I'm going to run a triathlon there.

Should I just go for an Orlando hotel? Any there you'd recommend?
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:24 AM

I would definitely go for an Orlando hotel. That's slow season down here and you can generally get great deals at the good places. Clermont has very little to offer for entertainment. Don't know what your interests are, but Orlando area has sooooo much to do without even going near Disney area. If you have never been to Cape Canaveral it's worth the trip (about and hour), Universal City Walk always has a lot going on at night, depending on your age there is a lot of nite life in downtown. Golf is plentiful, restaurants are great, shopping is fantastic. Have fun!
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:15 PM

Just saw your post-- we are Clermont residents. There is a Holiday Inn Express that is fairly new here in Clermont. But it will fill up fairly quickly during a triathalon, so check asap. Other than than, previous posts were right that there are just mainly mom and pop places. Otherwise, look at hotels on west Hyw. 192 -- you will be close to Disney, and also convenient to Clermont (just hop on Hwy. 27 and go north about 20 minutes). If you look towards Winter Garden/Ocoee/Orlando or north toward Leesburg, you will be at least that far, maybe farther, and not in as convenient area to the attractions.

You might have time to go to Tarpon Springs, a Greek sponge fishing village. Go out Hwy. 50 (Clermont main road) west toward the Gulf, and then down Hwy 19 a bit. There's Gatorland in Kissimmee...the gators are more active in the spring, but interesting if you don't live anywhere gators. I would try to go to Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral, as suggested by LuvToGo.

Clermont has grown quite a bit during the past few years, but it is not a hotbed of entertainment. The lakes draw in the fishing and "snowbird crowd," especially during the cooler months.

Let me know if you want info on any of the "mom and pop" places, and I would be happy to check them out for you.