Where to stay in Orlando

Search

Where to stay in Orlando

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Orlando

Going to Orlando in Feb for a few days. We want a little nightlife and are going to Epcot. We are in our early 30's and no kids. Wondering if we should stay downtown (hotels are pricer-but Church street has nightlife), Lake Buena Vista (mid-priced hotels-but on Disney-might be fun) or Universal area (cheap hotels-but not sure what the area is like) Help please. Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 11:40 AM

If you have the money, the Loews Hotels under the Universal themepark unbrella name are exceptional. There are four or five of them. One is the Hardrock-- but this might be the most expensive one; The least expensive one is called the Royal -something Royal Pacific or Polynesian or something. (I think Royal Polynesian might be right). Food is by Emeril. This Hotel whose name partially escapes me is a solid 4-star hotel at 3 star prices. Call Universal Theme Park and inquire. They take you by boat to the Universal theme park and your room key serves as a VIP (front in line) pass to all rides. It is also close to Seaworld ($10. cabride maybe). There is an entertainment shopping Pavillion where Emerils main Florida restaurant is right outside Universal. Also I recommend Sleuths mystery dinner theatre that's privately owned but close by. You can Drive to Epcot from there (15 minutes)-- unless you wanted to stay in Epcot at the Dolphin or Swan, but these are actually not as nice as the Universal (Loews) hotels, and alot more expensive. I found that the Disney hotels of which there is about 20, to be a crowded mess. The only really good thing about the Disney hotels is the free van transportation to the themeparks, but I was staying at a cheap Disney hotel (the all star chain) and ended up taking Taxis anyway, because the wait for a van was too long. This however would not occur at a more expensive Disney hotel like the Coronation Lodge or the dolphin or Swan. the latter two, you just walk outside to Epcot. You should of course spend an evening in downtown Disney/ Paradice Island and check out the cookies at Goofy's. Actually, if your goal is to see Epcot without hastle, then I would stay in something like the Disney Coronation Lodge, because there will be a van to take you so you won't have to wait in a traffic jam and its probably much less expensive than the Dolphin or Swan. Tip: Do NOT stay in the All-Star. Oh - one more thing - important!!! Even though they are competitors the Universal Hotels might have a courtesy van to Epcot -- If they dp then stay at a Universal Hotel.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 12:36 PM

The Boardwalk area of Disney is walking distance to Epcot (and a boat ride to MGM), as are the Swan and Dolphin. Boardwalk has evening options, very nice restaurants, and is a great area to walk around in. The hotels there are the Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach Clubs. We stayed a couple of weeks ago at the Dolphin and loved the convenience.

If the only park you are going to is Epcot, then this might be the best. The Universal hotels are very nice and they have should have very good specials in February. IF you stay there, you get front of the line access to all the Universal rides - an excellent benefit. And the City Walk entertainment area of Universal is fun, with a good variety of restaurants, bars, and entertainment options.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 03:40 PM

February will be lowest price season for every hotel. You might consider staying at one of the Lake Buena Vista locations. Convenient to Pleasure Island and Downtown Disney, both of which have night life. A short drive to EPCOT.

The Disney properties are all at low season rates, and you will get best admission to EPCOT by staying at a Disney hotel. If you elect to use Disney transport, it's an option.

As amcc mentioned, you can walk to EPCOT from all of the Boardwalk area hotels.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 05:16 PM

Ditto the Lake Buena Vista. Walking distance to Downtown Disney and on property so you still take advantage of shuttles.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies!