Search

Oregon Coast

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2008, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oregon Coast

Hi! I am so glad I found this forum. We are flying to Portland on Friday, March 7, renting a car and driving to Depoe Bay where we will have a condo. There are 4 of us, 2 couples. We fly back out of Portland on Friday, March 14. This is our first visit to Oregon and we want to see all we can, but not drive constantly. Also, we live in Texas so we can't wait for some great seafood! I know you all will have some great ideas. Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 06:39 PM
P_M

topping for a fellow Texan.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 06:49 PM

Susan, no need to post again - I answered it the first time as did someone else. If you lost your post, click on your name to find it (and any others you've made). You can simply post "ttt" if you want to bring it back to the top.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 07:43 AM

Stop in Cannon Beach and have a meal at Mo's for some really yummy seafood and clam chowder, you will have views of Haystack Rock here, the Blackened Salmon is really good here, the ambiance is very casual, there is usually a short wait, you can browse through the gift area while you wait for your table or go out and view Haystack Rock.

Enjoy your trip! ***kim***
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your help. We would like to check out a couple of wineries. I hear a lot about the Willamette Valley wines. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 02:16 PM

Susancr--What kind of wines do you prefer. The pinots are well regarded here, but I hate to make suggestions unless I know you actually like these. I live in this region, so know it well. One big piece of advice when tasting is to have a designated driver. The police have a very heavy presence in this area.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 02:23 PM

I'd also suggest stopping in Cannon Beach - lots of fun little shops and art galleries - and a great beach. The Wayfarer is another resaurant you might consider for lunch. It also has a great view of Haystack Rock, but is a little more upscale than Moe's. They make a very good clam chowder, and their fish and chips and crab salad are both delicious. Enjoy your trip!

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 02:31 PM

balitrav--I agree, the Wayfarer is very good. I haven't been a fan of Mo's for many years, but that is just me.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:26 PM

And just to add to the choice of clam chowders, Gower Street Bistro is mighty fine too.

Although, sitting by the window on a stormy day, watching the waves come practically to the window..having a big bowl of chowder is pretty cozy- but imagine a big diner on the ocean, that is about what you get at Mo's.
"gift shop" being tee shirts and postcards...something found in every shop and gas station on the Coast.

Wayfarer is better too

Haystack Rock is visible from just about anywhere in Cannon Beach..such an amazing sight..I have so many photos..you will too lol.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

mms - I love Pinot Noir; I'm a red wine kind of girl. Thanks for any suggestions. Also, the Wayfarer sounds delicious. Thanks to all.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:50 AM

the oregon coast is beautiful
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 10:15 AM

If you're still reading, Susan...

I presume you'll be taking 99W and OR 18 from PDX. This will take you through the heart of Oregon's wine country. Look for signs to wineries around Dundee. Archery Summit, Domaine Drouhin, and De Ponte are close to eachother; all make great wines, though be prepared for sticker shock at Archery Summit and D. Drouhin. ;-) Or, you could simply stop at Argyle, right on 99W in the center of Dundee, then cross the street to Ponzi's tasting bar.

Cannon Beach is a bit of a drive from Depoe Bay, close to 2.5 hours. If you decide to take a day trip up there, drive Three Capes Scenic Loop on the return trip south.

Have a great trip.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Beachbum for the info. We are flying out of Dallas on Friday, the 7th so we are getting excited. Thanks for the info. I am printing all of this out to take with us. I'll report in when we return.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 06:20 AM

Hi Susancr,
You can't go wrong with the info beachbum and mms have given you. They were always helping my husband and I with directions and suggestions when we lived in Portland.

I don't drink white wine but never really had a favorite wine...now I am spoiled for life after living in Oregon and having those choices of which Pinot Noir to taste..
One of our favorites was Patricia Green,Domaine Drouhin, Erath (champagne ) and the Yankee liked some of the small vineyards that we cannot remember now..

We tried to avoid going to the large touristy wineries along the highway, mms and beachbum know all those names!

You mentioned seafood..chowder and fried fish can be found all over the Coast but when in Portland, if you have time, SouthPark is a great seafood restaurant right in downtown Portland.

Have a great time, it is raining and cool today in Buenos Aires and it is making me homesick for Portland

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 06:56 AM

Well you are in luck as the pinots are fantastic here! And the best ones are not the highest priced. A few of my favorites are Chehalem (with Rex Hill directly across the highway, and RH has some good reserves as well as good views if the weather is clear), Brickhouse (thanks to beachbum who steered me to this one!), Grochau Cellars, Amity, Domaine Drouhin, and then Argyle for sparkling wine. Ponzi and Arbor Brook (a fairly new place) make very good dessert wines. My best advice would be to avoid the blue tourist signs for wineries and to get off the beaten path a bit. Make appts for the places you want to stop. A really good magazine is Portland Monthly. Pick one up at the airport when you arrive, as the current issue is all about wine country.

Right now the forecast isn't great for next week, but here the weather can change in a heartbeat.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 07:03 AM

Another thumbs up for Erath. The Three Capes Loop is terrific. Dress in layers and have fun!
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 08:43 AM

Oh just forget about the wine...Ainslees Salt Water Taffey in Depoe Bay...just the BEST!!!! I googled them again and someone said that they are going to have a website and will SHIP!!!! If so, my prayers have been answered!!!!!
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again to everyone for all of the suggestions. Your advice is priceless! We will enjoy the scenery, drink some wine, eat good seafood and try that good taffy!