Search

Oregon Coast

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oregon Coast

We are flying into Seattle and then driving the Oregon Coast. Any suggestions or "must-see" locations?
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 07:11 AM

You do realize that you have at least a five-hour drive ahead of you to reach even the northern Oregon coast, right?
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 07:23 AM

Tell us why you decided on the Oregon coast so we have an idea of what your "must sees" might be.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

We will be there for nine days. We decided on the Oregon coast because we heard it was beautiful scenery. So, basically we are going for the scenery and are looking for places to park and walk, like coastlines, forests, state parks...etc
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:45 AM

Search this forum for "oregon coast" and you'll find tons of old responses. From those, what stands out to you? Pose some specific questions and you'll get more specific answers.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Living in Seattle, we visit the Oregon coast two or three times a year. Our favorite places to stay on the coast are Cannon Beach (Schooner's Cove), Newport (Hallmark Inn), and Yachats (Overleaf Lodge).

The stretch of 101 between Yachats and the Sea Lion Caves, just north of Florence, is particularly beautiful.

Farther south, Bandon in a pleasant place to stay and the drive between Port Orford and Brookings is exceptionally scenic.

Mt. Rainier and the Columbia River Gorge are two other destinations of particular interest. Please let us know if you are interested in including them in your itinerary.

HTTY
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far. Andrew, thanks for the suggestion to do a search on the forum. As you can tell, I am not real familiar with the Fodor's site. I wish I would have came here before booking our flight. We probably should be flying into Portland instead of Seattle.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 10:24 AM

We did an Oregon Coast trip a few years ago, specifically to visit lighthouses. We based in Florence and visited seven of them. Heceta Head is on a promonatory and the view was spectacular. Incidentally the keeper's house is now an inn and looked very charming from outside.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Seize the opportunity to see Mount St. Helens while driving from Seattle toward the Oregon coast...I'm not too impressed with the Washington coast south of Gray's Harbor, so IMHO you won't miss much by taking the freeway down to state route 505 (exit 59), driving up to the visitor's center (be sure it is a clear day, though, or you will have wasted your time). On the way back down the mountain, take state route 504 back to the freeway and then take state route 4 along the north shore of the Columbia River to the Megler Bridge which takes you into Oregon at Astoria. IMHO that is a more scenic route than US 30 along the south shore of the river.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:14 AM

I'd suggest you choose between Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens. Mt. Rainier is magnificent - awe inspiring. Mt. St. Helens is fascinating with a great volcano story, well told at the visitor's centers. Depends on what you are looking for.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 10:05 AM

We love the Cannon Beach/Seaside area of the northern coast. We have a beach cottage in Seaside and enjoy several weeks a year there. There is so much to do and see in this area: Fort Stevens State Park, Ecola State Park, Oswald West State Park, Gearhart and Astoria are both close by also. ***kim***
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 10:50 AM

We too are visiting OR in September; arriving from Montana into Portland; plan to do 1) Columbia River Gorge; 2) Cannon Beach & Astoria; 3) Williamette Valley, before driving north to Seattle. Planning on 4-5 nights OR and 3 in Seattle. In Cannon Beach, can anyone tell me their fave out of the Gower St. Bistro, Warren House or Wayfarer for dinner, thanks.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 11:47 AM

aliced, Gower St. Bistro changed owners recently and is not quite the restaurant it used to be. I like both of the other two restaurants, but Wayfarer would be my favorite of the two. Besides the food being better, you will also have a nice view of Haystack Rock from the restaurant. You can't beat that!
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 08:42 AM

We had a great meal at the Wayfarer a few days ago when in Cannon Beach. The Copper River Salmon was really good, we had a table by the window with a great view. We also really like Bistro and Newman's @ 988 in Cannon Beach.

In nearby Seaside, check out Yummy Bar & Bistro or Maggie's o the Prom. My halibut was very good at Maggie's and the views of the ocean are gorgeous from the dining area. There are several great places to dine in Astoria. We had a really fun meal at Columbian Cafe, we sat at the bar and watched the chef prepare the meals. He uses only the freshest of ingredients and the menus change every day, it was a real treat and this little cafe is one of my favorite places in the area right now. Also in Astoria, don't miss the Bridgewater Bistro, we took our nephew there for dinner a couple of weeks ago and had a great time. We have dined there many times and have never been disappointed. The Prawn appetizer and the Hazelnut Silk Pie are not to miss.

Have a great trip! ***kim***
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 08:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We have gone to the oregon coast at least a few times a year for the last 30 years. We love the whole coastline. just beautiful. The southern coast is different then the northern coast. If you want casual, in Lincoln City we never miss going to Gallucci's Pizza. Great pizza. The Inn at the Spanish Head for dinner is more expensive, but beautiful views while dining. Also, the Surfrider restaurant we love if you can get a seat by the window, beautiful views and less expensive then Spanish Head. We have seen whales before when we have been there, and great food. These are all in Lincoln City. The southern coast is less populated and some beautiful lighthouses to see. Of course the sea lions are always fun to see. If you think about going down the coastline all the way the Jet boats out of Gold Beach are a blast! especially if you take the long trip. Also, if you go back to I-5 by way of the wildlife safari, that is very fun. The beaches are all beautiful all the way down. You will have a lot of fun. Stop in if you can to the Tillamook cheese factory if you can. Wonderful ice cream and pretty cool to see how they make the cheese.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
also, I forgot about the Oregon Dunes. So very cool. If you get a chance to go on a dune buggy ride over the dunes. So fun!! Huge sand dunes down there along the central-south coast.