Suggestion for Family on Oregon Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Oregon this summer. We will be driving from Crater Lake to the coast and are looking for suggestion for a a one or two night stay on the the coast perhaps near Newport or Depoe Bay before we leave for Portland. We are a family with two teenagers. We like the lodge atmosphere. Would it be too far to drive to Cannon Beach as we have looked at Ocean Lodge.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:33 PM

I worry that you underestimate the time to travel to and along the coast. There are no Interstates for that! Could you tell me
your route to Crater Lake and if you will continue to drive through Oregon after Portland? Then I can give suggestions that don't put you on the same roads coming and going.

Also, Cannon Beach is the BIG yuppie place on the coast. Is that what you want?
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:43 PM

The central coast is nice, but my favorite area of the coast is northern. If you stay in Newport there is the Oregon Coast Aquarium that is fun.

We just returned from the northern Oregon Coast and stayed in Seaside where we have a beach cottage. Ecola State Park, Astoria, Gearhart, Hug Point, Oswald West State Park are all beautfiul areas in this section. YOu can be as busy as you like or just relax in one place, Cannon Beach would be a great choice with Haystack Rock, upscale shops and nice restaurants.

The Ocean Lodge is a very nice choice, right next door to Stephanie Inn, one of the most prestigious properties on the Oregon Coast. Let us know what you decide and have fun! ***kim***
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Actually, we will coming in from Boise, Idaho to Crater Lake. After our stay there, we wanted to drive up the coast, stay a night or two and then possibly stay in Portland. We are then driving northeast through the gorge to Washington and northern Idaho. We don't know anything about the towns on the coast but had read reviews about Ocean Lodge. I can see from the map that it is not an interstate. We just wanted to see the Oregon coast and don't need to spend an entire week there or anything as we have traveled to the Pacific NW before, i.e. Washington, Vancouver Island, Vancouver coast. How long does it take to travel from Crater Lake to the central coast?
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:23 PM

Ocean Lodge is nice, but way too far from Crater Lake if you've only got one night on the coast. Central coast is the right idea. From Crater Lake, get on hwy 138 to I-5, then 138/38 to Reedsport. The drive from I-5 along the Umpqua River is just beautiful. I'd suggest Yachats for the night, and more specifically Overleaf Lodge. You'll feel as if the waves are crashing right outside your window. http://www.overleaflodge.com/

Of course you like the north coast best, ***kim***, but you need not be so deceptive. It's hard to say anything else when you've never spent any time on the central or south coast.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:40 AM

are there going to be children on this trip?
If so they would enjoy the area around Florence. I highly suggest the dune buggy rides ( fun for adults too)
Kids would also enjoy the sand boarding park close to Florence.
As Beachbum suggested, Yachats is a good place to stay and close enough to Florence that you can do these activities
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

We have decided to stay in Yachats at the Overleaf Lodge. Looks beautiful there. Thanks for your suggestions!