Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Opinions on choosing between a few New York restaurants please....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have made most of our dining reservations for NYC.
(One night Cafe des Artistes, one night Le Madeleine, one night Roberto Passon)

we are trying to decide on the fourth night:
I have only been to one of these and no one in our party has been to any of them -

I should probably also say we are eating pre theater - say at 5:30 and then heading to an 8pm show in the theater district.

Orso
Abboccato
Thalia
Cara Mia

We had also been thinking we'd go to Thalia one night post theater.....if that helps us narrow the field any for dinner....

Unfortunately, I realize today is a crazy back to work day for some of us so I may not be back online till later but would appreciate any comments you can provide ! Thanks all and Happy New Year -

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 07:14 AM

I don't frequent any of these four restaurants, but one of my favorite pre-theater places is ViceVersa, which is on West 51st Street (otherwise, I often do Roberto Passon for pre-theater).
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 07:43 AM

There are many restaurants that are better than those cited. Please consider leaving that area to eat. You can always take a cab to train to the theatre

Some Italian
I Coppi
L'Impero (more expensive)
Cacio e Pepe
Pepolino's
I Trulli

French Bistro
Cafe Deville
Flea Market
Casimir

Restaurant Row
Pomaire

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 08:50 AM

Hi Escargot,

I like Orso a lot..another suggestion for something different is Marseille. When you go to Le Madeline, you could look at the menu. We've always enjoyed our meals there.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:08 AM

Sorry - if you're going to the theater I ALWAYS think you should eat within a few minutes walk:

1) You don;t have to worry about missing the start of the show due to traffic or subway delays

2) It allows you to eat dinner 30 minutes later - so you don;t have to sit down at 5:30 in the afternoon
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:50 PM

I've had two good experiences at Cara Mia (though it's not close to the TD). Service and food were good, and the atmosphere was quiet and intimate.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone -

we definitely prefer to walk to our meals pre theater -
we've done the other route and often jumped out of the cab because pedestrians are moving faster than our cab was - and I really prefer not to have to lead 3 couples who are not from a city and seldom take a subway through that - we do it during the day when going to shop or tour or walk - but I'd prefer to skip the subway pre theater also

Marseille was one of my first choices - we love it there- but they were booked pre theater .....

I'll cancel my rezzie at Cara Mia b/c we do want to be able to walk - don't know why we felt that was walkable... guess when I looked at the map I thought it was not that far from Roberto Passon but my eyes have been known to deceive me !
Exactly how far a walk is it to the theater? too long a hike?

Otherwise, I am leaning towards cancelling the others, and going with Orso or Thalia....and I'll keep bugging Marseilles !

Other nights we leave the area to eat when we are not going to the theater - like the night at Cafe des Artistes - and other visits to the city -(the two of us eat often in nyc b/c my daughter is there)

but this visit is with three couples who fly in from other states and is always three nights of theater and day time shopping/culinary tours/etc ....we do the fine dining thing on our off night or when we meet up in other cities during the year - but the focus on our nyc trip is theater -

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

owlwoman.....Marseilles is still booked solid, just called, but he said best to call the morning of..... so that is always a remote possibility !

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Ok Doug, I called Vice Versa and they have an opening and so that is where we will go -

I've seen you mention it several times before so I am going to give it a try.... now you are really on the line

just kidding, but I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Thanks everyone !

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:45 PM

Actually, I didn't get the comment about Cara Mia not being walkable. Yes, it is on 9th, just like Roberto Passon, and actually closer to the bulk of the theatres than Roberto Passon (between 45 and 46, not at 50th). What theatre are you going to that night?

I think the food at Orso is MUCH better than Cara Mia (but priced accordingly, I think). I'd probably just save Thalia for after theatre.
I've never done Abbocato, so can't comment. Yes, I love Marseille, too bad it's booked.

(And, damn, I wish spellcheck would stop telling me theatre is misspelled.)

And like you I'd NEVER do pre-theatre where you have to rely on a taxi at theatre curtain time! In fact, I rarely do pre-theatre dining at all -- too much "pressure", so I prefer after theatre.

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:48 PM

OOps. Was posting as you were. ViceVersa is excellent and a good choice. (I also like Tout au Bien, right next door to it), but many find the atmosphere a little worn around the edges.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

well Patrick the fact that you like Vice Versa seals that deal, b/c you introduced me to Roberto Passon and now I never visit NYC without at least one meal there -

I rechecked my calculations too and Cara Mia looked like an easy walk to me - around .35 miles and 8-10 minutes, which is at least what I need to "walk off dinner" before theater - and we are at 214 W 43rd seeing Young Frankenstein that night... but I think perhaps different people think different walks are doable or not anyway.

Like you, I would eat post theater - but it is not to be with this group and that is ok with me - they all want to eat pre theater so I just figure the rest of my eating all day accordingly -

We are trying Thalia post theater for the first time at your suggestion - as well as After Party.....
perhaps I shall have to consider naming my trip report after you

thanks all !
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

anyone been to Divine Bar?

http://divinebar.ypguides.net/

that was another post theater possibility for us, reserving an area there ( in the private party/decor part of web site) someone said they had good small portions, fondues, etc and drinks....
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Just posting the trip report from this visit to NYC in case anyone reading post in future searches wants to know where we ended up eating, etc.

and thanks to all above for your assistance !

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=35099570