Only One Day In Chicago

Search

Only One Day In Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only One Day In Chicago

We are going on an extended Road Trip with our two dogs and our route is taking us through the Chicago Area. We will be spending one night outside of Chicago and then spending one whole day in the city and then leaving the next morning. We are looking for ideas for what to do while in Chicago regarding things to do, places to see, and recommended foods to eat.

Any help would be awesome, considering we will be there next week!
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 02:59 PM

I would say the Chicago Hist society's architecture cruise on the river, but I'm 99% sure your dogs would not be allowed.
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 07:02 PM

> We are looking for ideas for what to do while in Chicago
> regarding things to do, places to see

I recommend that you visit the places with stuff that interests you, that are appropriate for the age of the "we" who will be there, that fit into your budget, and that would be appropriate to visit during the time of year you will be there.

Unfortunately, unless we are informed on these items, nobody can give you a more meaningful answer to your question -- although I have no doubt someone will try despite the dearth of information. The simple facts are that certain attractions-
1) might be fascinating to us, but utterly boring to you -- and vice-versa.
2) are inappropriate for children -- and others would be perfect.
3) would be fine in summer but a terrible idea in winter.
4) are too expensive for someone on a shoe-string budget. BTW, "Not too expensive" doesn't help much.

Would love to help you find what you are looking for -- but first we have to know what is the "what."
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 07:50 PM

Here's what you can do in Chicago (a lot).

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/...ity-guide1.htm

I consider that a meaningful answer. I was born and grew up in Chicago but left years ago. But I would use that guide as a starting point for a visit.
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

We have a blog that we started with my husband, myself, and our two dogs. We are not on a shoe string budget, and are looking for fun things to do that could or could not include our pets. My blog is theconstantrambler.com so we are looking for things along the lines of our last trip but are trying not to cross over to the same things Thanks!
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 06:36 AM
cd

I always recommend: http://www.signatureroom.com/ in the John Hancock building. I love eating there with Chicago at my feet. Or, if you don't want to eat at the restaurant just go up one floor and have a drink in the lounge.
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 10:19 AM

Unfortunately, your blog made it very difficult to sort out exactly what it is you are hoping to experience while in Chicago. So I'll just list some stuff that *I* would love to visit, and hope it has some interest for you. If it doesn't, then I apologize for my guesses -- the simple fact is that I have no idea what you are looking for.

Chicago Art Institute -- Highly recommended for fans of art, particularly Impressionism. This is where I would spend the entire day, but I recognize you may have different tastes.

That museum is right next to Millennium Park, a place to spend another hour or so.

Chicago has two zoos -- one at Brookfield and one in Lincoln Park. Both are pretty good: the former is much better, the latter is free. Again, seeing both would take up a good chunk of the day, but are not recommended unless you like zoos.

Walking up and down the Miracle Mile, admiring the shops, is another way to spend several hours. Not recommended unless you like to shop.

The trio of the Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, and the Adler Planetarium would also take up a day, but are not recommended unless you like to visit museums.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks PaulRabe! We love zoos and museums. We will make an attempt to do one of those. I also just found out that Chicago has a beer festival going on over the weekend.