Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ohare Chicago

What to do if you have 8hrs at Ohare ?
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 04:47 PM

You can be downtown in 45 minutes for $1.75 by riding the blue line el train. Do something fun in Chicago for a few hours, then head back out on the train.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Yeah that sound great. Do you have any suggestions to do in downtown Chicago ?
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 08:54 PM

Dear G,

Art Institute and Shedd Aquarium are two favorites. Also, just head to Michigan Avenue, Watertower Place, etc. for the gawking and the shopping.

There's been a lot of suggestions in recent days on what to do in Chicago, so you might just type it into the search box above and see what comes up.

SusanEva
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 05:31 AM

Grisslehamn - If you're not familiar with Chicago, check out the destinations link above and read up on it. There are so many things to choose from that you'll need to narrow down your interests.

So, to get better ideas here, please tell us a bit about you:

* who will be on this trip (you alone, couple - what ages?, kids?)
* when will you be here (weather can be a factor in recommendations in winter, but many lovely outdoor activities in spring and summer)
* what do you want to do - what about Chicago interests you, or what interests you in general?
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 09:27 AM

don't even go all the way downtown. Blue line to Damen, this is the Bucktown neighborhood. Great shops to walk around that whole area, and cool restuarants. I recommend Feast on Damen or Piece (pizza) on North!
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:04 AM

If you're going to leave the airport, I'm inclined to recommend going all the way downtown. Especially if you've never been in Chicago before. It'd be a real shame to miss the lakefront, the Loop, Mag Mile, Millennium Park. And if you're into museums at all, you should definitely go to the Art Institute.

However, I agree with eroz that Feast is a restaurant well worth checking out if you happen to be in that area.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 01:27 PM

Just few things to consider:

1. ORD has NO left luggage facilities. If you have any carry ons, you will have to take it with you.

2. It does take ~45-50 minutes each way from ORD to downtown Chicago on the train, BUT, by the time you get off the plane, walk the terminal, walk to the train station and probably wait ~5-15 minutes between trains leaving, the "real" time for the outbound trip will be ~1hour15minutes+.

3. If you don't know the city, forget about seeing the lakefront, Mag mile, the loop, Millenium Park, etc... All the above are miles apart in a very busy part of town. Catching cabs to all different places will cost you a fortune.

4. I assume you will have your BP for the connecting flight, so all you need is to arrive at the ORD station about an hour, maybe little more before the flight. Security can be a mess at times at ORD, so plan accordingly. Still, with an hour train trip and an hour plus arrival, that's 2-2.5 hours gone.

5. I would say that at the very least ~3.5 plus hours is needed for transportation and reporting for boarding at the gate for your connecting flight.

With that in mind, you basically have about 4 real free hours to look around.

Tell us what YOU want or like to do and then it will be easier to pinpoint the places, but you can't do everything.

And as somebody already stated. Winter is a different story in Chicago. You really don't want to mess around too much with the cold weather, snow on the ground, etc. Spring could still be cold, but lot easier to work with, and early summer is usually the best time. Summer can get hot and sticky.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 05:23 PM

Have to respectfully disagree with AA FrequentFlyer on #3. It is easy to see a number of sites downtown without cabs or trekking for miles through the wet snow.... although if you aren't dressed for the weather, you may have a problem.

Here is a sample tour that highlights quite a bit of the downtown. Take the Blue Line from O'Hare towards the city and exit at Washington,using the NW corner exit. You'll soon be standing in Daley Plaza beneath the Picasso sculpture. From here you can see City Hall, the State of Illinois building (the blue balloon) and the Daley Center, which is the Cook County Court building. Take a look around; there are often music and dance groups performing midday.

Walk east toward the lake; you'll go past Marshall Field's (soon to be Macy's) on State Street. Look north to glimpse the huge, gorgeous sign for the Chicago theatre. Continue east on Washington, under the El tracks, and you'll be on Michigan Avenue right across from Millennium Park and the Frank Gehry-designed bandshell.

After you enjoy a walk around the park, head south to the Art Institute at Michigan and Adams Street. Spend as much time as your interest dictates. If you're hungry, try the Corner Bakery across the street, or Russian Tea Time a half block down Adams.

From here, especially in the summer, it's nice to walk down to Buckingham fountain by exiting at the rear of the Art Institute and heading south. You get a good view of the lakefront from that area, and you can continue by walking under Lake Shore Drive to the Shedd Aquarium or Field Museum.... if you have time (it's about a mile from the Art Institute to the Shedd or Field, and the museums take at least 90 minutes to see).

Head back to the subway along Congress Street. You'll see the wall of turn of the century buildings that separates the city from the lakefront, and some grand old hotels to the south. When you reach State Street, turn right and walk past the library and continue north to duck in and see the lobby of the Palmer House Hotel at State and Monroe (the lobby is up one level from the street).

Retrace your steps a block-and-a-half until you reach Jackson Boulevard. Walk west toward the Federal Complex of buildings, where you'll see the large red Calder sculpture, and, conveniently, the entrance to the Blue Line to go back to the airport.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 05:40 PM

I don't consider that a disagreement. It's a beautiful walking tour, BUT....

many assumptions here,

Does the OP know the city at all?

Will this be in mid-Jan or mid-May?

Can the OP walk for extended periods?

etc, etc....

All I'm saying is that unless we know what the OP wants and MORE IMPORTANTLY, if the OP will have carry on luggage, which s/he can't get rid off, then the walking tour is nothing more than a great suggestion.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 06:41 AM

I'm not sure why it matters whether the OP knows the city at all, but he will at least a little after the tour is over. And since the OP has not been back to give more info, what's wrong with great suggestions? And, patg was specifically disagreeing with:

If you don't know the city, forget about seeing the lakefront, Mag mile, the loop, Millenium Park, etc... All the above are miles apart in a very busy part of town. Catching cabs to all different places will cost you a fortune.

No need whatsoever to forget seeing those things if you don't know the city, and no need for cabs to do so, unless there are specific walking issues with the OP, which I think more often than not there aren't, unless specifically stated.

Anyway - great suggestion patg. I hope the OP won't be scared off by the negativity and will still consider seeing a little bit of Chicago, since that's all time will allow.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 06:54 AM

Just to clarify, when I said it'd be a shame to miss the lakefront, Loop, Mag Mile, etc., I meant it'd be a shame to miss *all* of them. Not necessarily that I thought the OP could do it all.

Great suggestions, patg!
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Blue line to Washington, find the nearest hotel, tell the bellcap you are meeting friends there and check your bag with him for a few hours!
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:26 AM

Yep, definitely head downtown and get off at the third station on 'The Loop'

with the 45 minute trip to and from the airport on the El Train, you should have a good 4 hours to wander and see a few good sites... 4 hours leaving you a nice cushion to get back to the airport.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks alot people.
Goin to be there oct24.
Im interested in Chicagos mobhistory etc.