Chicago recomendations needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First timers to Chicago. Going Jan 13-16th and will also be there in March, June and September for a course my husband is taking. We love fine dining, walking, shopping, sightseeing and fine wines and drinks. Each time we go to Chicago is just a long weekend. Any info for each or any times of the year we are going, on restaurants, etc,... would be greatly appreciated. We are staying at the Penninsula the first time we come out so info around this location would be great. Any other hotel recommendations for future visits would be appreciated if you think Penninsula isn't where we should be.
ALSO,,,, if there is ANY way to get in the Oprah show PLEASSSSSSE let me know. That is on my list as a thing to do before I die!!1 I have called and it is always busy!! Thanks for your help!!!
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Anyone out there?
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 06:20 PM

The Chicago Architecture Foundation offers walking tours of architecture which are quite interesting. THe Lincoln Park Zoo is quite enjoyable.
Don't miss a stop at Giordano's- the pizza is outstanding! Also, have dessert in Ghiardelli. YUMMY!!!
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 06:16 AM
JJ5

There are 100s of excellent threads on this here. I think that many posters are just tired of posting the same things. Do a search on the feature.
Chicago walks, Chicago restaurants, Chicago museums, Chicago jazz, Chicago bars etc. and you will see what I mean.

www.metromix.com for lots of updates too.

Art Institute is an absolute must- with time and leisure. Not a rush through. Also the Shedd. Right now we have baby Beluga whale Bella eating her first handfuls of fish. Shopping is another whole category. There are threads on shopping walks etc. if you are interested. Also on Architectural interest walks, or high end dining.

If you haven't seen Wicked, I would get the tickets now, if you have any interest.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 06:43 AM

For your January (and possibly even March) visit....bring plenty of WARM clothing! Below zero (and sometimes way below zero) temps are a definite possibility. So the Art Institute will be a great place to explore on your first visit, and some of the other wonderful museums. And your walking/explorations of the city can be something to look forward to in June and September.

Weather/wind permitting, a stroll down Michigan Avenue at twilight - preferably with some snowflakes falling - will be memorable. Then, duck into the Coq d'Or on the lower level of the Drake hotel for something to warm you up, with a cup of their famous red snapper soup and a burger. It's a cozy setting anytime, but perfect for January!
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 06:57 AM

Been there lots...the only bad meal I had was when my kids forced me to go to Bubba Gumps. Yuck! Seriously, last month we went to Greek town and had a great time at Greek Isleands restaurant. There are a string of Zagat rated places all in a row, pick your poison. But one of the best meals I've EVER had was at Aria in the Fairmount Hotel.
http://www.ariachicago.com/
The service, presentation,tastes...wow. I can't wait to go back.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 07:44 AM

Agree with JJ5, people are just tired of posting on this topic, but you can find plenty of Chicago threads. As regarding the Peninsula itself, it is a luxury hotel and its two dining rooms, Avenues (contemporary seafood) and Shanghai Terrace (Chinese) have a lot to offer. NOMI, at the nearby Park Hyatt, is romantic, zenlike.