3 days in Chicago in May. Ideas please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll have 3 days in Chicago the last week in May staying in the Marriott Courtyard Magnificent Mile.We have never been in Chicago before and would like some idea for "must sees" and places to eat. We are interested in the history of the city and enjoy people watching .My husband can't walk as far as he used to so we'll probably take a City Tour to start with. We have been told to use the L for transportation.
We enjoy any food and would like some ideas of reasonably prices restaurants which are typical of the area.
Any ideas much appreciated.
Thanks
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There is also a wonderful boat tour that goes from the river and out into the lake---very enjoyable and you can sit.

The Chicago Art Museum is outstanding. There are places to sit around the exhibits to rest in between walking.

The"Pump Room" at the Onmi Ambassador East is Chicago at it's best. There are always new restaurants to go to, but this is the one we return to year after year. Big leather booths, pictures of stars and Chicago celebrities everywhere, small dance floor with a quiet combo and usually a girl singing("It had to be you"). Just to give you a feel of the place.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:47 AM

1 minor Correction is that it is the El for the elevated train.

Would highly recommend the Chicago Architecture Foundation's boat tour of the River.

I was in Chicago last year and went Giordano's for Chicago Pizza. This is a huge topic on whose pizza is the best. You could also go to the Signature Room in the Hancock Tower for the view and a few drinks.

If you are baseball fans, go to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field or a White Sox game at US Cellular Field.

You also have the Art Institute that is free on Thursday nights. I would also recommend the Shedd Aquarium and Field Museum (Natural History). Obviously, these depend on how much your husband can walk.

There have been a ton of posts on Chicago here lately so do a search on Chicago and you will find a lot of help / ideas.

Enjoy Chicago as it is a great city and a lot of fun. I cannot wait to go back.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 10:12 AM

I'll be in Chicago in May too!! so will be watching for good ideas....DH loves Chicago, but I have very little experience of it, except I don't like big cities as a rule.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 10:22 AM
cd

Here I go again, I'm always recommending the Signature Room for lunch. It's a great view of Chiacgo! Ask for a window seat and lunch is not all that expensive!
http://www.signatureroom.com/Cuisine/lunch.cfm?PID=46
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 10:25 AM
cd

And also for tapas: http://www.cafeiberico.com/
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 12:17 PM

I second the nomination for the Architectural Boat tour. You will learn a lot about the city and it's history on this, as well as not having to walk it. Here is one offered:

http://www.chicagotours.us/tours/tou...cfm/ttid2/1523

And the Art Institute:

http://www.artic.edu/aic/

And nothing is more beautiful than a cruise on Lake Michigan at sunset. When the city lights up at night and you're on the water and the city and moon are reflected off of the lake...nothing like it. Here is but one cruise line, there are others you can google or check out at Navy Pier:

http://www.mysticbluecruises.com/?sr...FZpM5Qodwlk2Qg
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Public transportation is the only way to go if you're staying in the city. Previous posters have made great suggestions, but I would like to add a few.

Additional Tours-
Chicago Trolley/Double Decker Bus Tours
Frank Lloyd Wright (Oak Park)

Food-
Garrets Popcorn
Lou Malnati's pizza
Art Mitchell's for breakfast
Lunch Buffet @ Renaissance Hotel on Wacker
Greek Town- Greek Island & Athena
Cafe BaBa Reeba- $3 tapas daily at the bar from 4-6 pm
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 06:58 PM

Ethne, you were correct, the CTA uses "L" not "el" to refer to the trains.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 07:28 PM

You learn something new every day. Never realized that it wasn't officially referred to as El.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 08:39 AM

If you're interested in the history of the city, definitely go to the Chicago History Museum (www.chicagohistory.org). I wandered up to the museum last year and was very impressed with the exhibits and info.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 09:51 AM

The new Modern Wing of the Art Institute will open May 16. Admission to the museum will be free May 16-22. On May 23, the cost increases from $12 to $18.

If you take the architectural boat tour, the best tours are run by the Chicago Architectural Foundation. You can check their site at www.architecture.org for schedules, etc. You can purchase tickets in advance, but if the weather is rotten that day you're stuck.

I vote against the Signature Room for meals. The food is overpriced for just being okay. You'd be much better off heading up to the lounge for a cocktail in the late afternoon to watch the sunset over the city, then going elsewhere for dinner.

You didn't say if you're flying or how your arriving, but CTA visitor passes would probably be a good investment. A 3-day pass allows unlimited rides on all buses and trains for $14. There are vending machines at both airport rail stations and several shops around the city that sell them. There are also 1-day and 7-day passes. You can order them online and find maps and a trip planner at www.transitchicago.com.

I admit I'm partial to the Chicago History Museum, but I agree it's worth a trip. The current exhibits are Chic Chicago, which shows some of the dresses top designers have created for the city's elite from the 1861 through today. It includes gowns by Halston, Valentino, Chanel and Bill Blass, and Lincoln Treasures.

Lincoln Treasures features items from the museum's permanent collection including Lincoln's desk when he served in the Illinois Legislature, the family piano from the White House and Lincoln's deathbed. Through May 3, one of the five surviving hand-written copies of the Gettysburg Address will be on display along with the text of the two-hour keynote address given at the Gettysburg Cemetery.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much to everyone for your most helpful replies.Now we are looking forward to our visit to Chicago very much.
One last question.
What is the easiest and/or cheapest way of getting from O'Hare Airport to the Marriott Courtyard Downtown Magnificent Mile please? I got a quote from the GoShuttle for $40.Is that reasonable?
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 06:14 AM

Whether it's reasonable, that's the going rate.;-) You can catch the CTA Blue Line train at ORD for $2.25 or less if you have transit passes. Just follow the signs from the baggage level that say "CTA Trains to city."

The trip to The Loop takes about 45-minutes. Exit at the Jackson stop, which has elevators, and transfer to the Number 151 bus. The stop is on the SW corner across from Federal Plaza. The bus will head up State Street, then over to Michigan Avenue. Exit the bus at Ontario and you'll see the Courtyard one block up on your right. An automated system announces the stops and displays them above the windshield.

If you'll have lots of luggage and think the bus will be a hassle, you can catch a cab at Jackson to your hotel for only a few dollars. You could also catch a cab a couple stops earlier from Clark/Lake. It also has elevators and escalators. If you'll just have one medium-size bag each, you'll be fine on the bus. Just don't block seats or the aisle.

Many buses are the low-floor style. All buses have a ramp or lift for use on request and many of the newer ones also kneel.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 06:32 AM

I love Chicago--you will have a wonderful time! We took the Architecture boat tour several years ago and really enjoyed it...Chicago has a very interesting history and some gorgeous buildings. Definitely also get the transit pass...well worth it! The Field Museum is a little far away from everything else, but it is worth visiting. We also liked the Shedd Aquarium and the Art Institute. Have a great time!
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 06:04 PM

I just realized I mixed up The Field Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry in my post above...I meant to say the MOSI is a little far away from everything else...sorry! It is definitely worth the trip, though! The Field Museum is cool too, but we liked MOSI more.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 06:10 PM

If the weather is nice, the double decker buses are fantastic for enjoying the scenery all over and the magnificent buildings from seats on the open air upper deck.

Try to schedule the boat tour when the sun isn't overhead and in your eyes. Overcast days are actually best for views and photo ops.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everybody.We now have plenty to fill our 3 days in Chicago.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 01:04 PM

the shuttle from the airport is going to be $40 per person, the taxi will be $40 total (plus tip)
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 01:19 PM
DMG

Quartino's is a fun Italian restaurant with great food and reasonable prices. If the weather is nice (and that's iffy) you can eat outdoors.

Love the architectural boat ride as well as the walking tours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -