Only-In-Milwaukee Restaurants

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:05 PM
Laurie

Only-In-Milwaukee Restaurants

I am taking a short business trip to Milwaukee and I would like some suggestions on some "truly Milwaukee" restaurants. Everyone tends to recommend the chains, but when I travel someplace new, I love to try something local.

I'll be staying in Brookfield, but don't mind driving 20-30 minutes to find something really unique. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:31 PM
X

I remember a similar thread not too long ago but it seems to be gone now. Hopefully those people won't mind reposting.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:19 PM
Dan

Well, I'm not sure if it's worth the ride, but the Safehouse bar and restaurant in downtown Milwaukee is a true city institution. Spy themed bar and restaurant.
You need a password to get in, if not you have to form a little stunt while on video for the people indoors. I know it sounds corny, but it's fun and "truly Milwaukee".
Everyone seems to like it.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:23 PM
chrissy

One of the great Milwaukee restaurants, Maders, has just revamped their menu. This restaurant is 100 years old. A great old German restaurant with old faves and new cuisine. It is about a 15-20 minute drive from Brookfield. Providing there isn't a Bucks game going on. Balisteri's is another place to go for traditional Italian food. About 10-15 minutes away.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:24 PM
Christine

We have some very good new restaurants here that are great examples of good ol' Milwaukee cooking. I suggest "Stevens", and we have a brand new joint in town called "Chilis" that I think you would really like.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:35 PM
chrissy

Sanfords is another upscale restaurant to visit. It is owned and run by the infamous chef, Sandy D'amato

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:55 PM
Dan

Yes Maders is a good suggestion. Or Karl Ratzschs for German Austrian fare. Also Milwaukee institutions.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 08:12 AM
mke

I think Karl Ratzschs closed. County Clare is a great restaurant/bar downtown/east side for Irish fare and usually live music. If you like sushi, Nanakusa is a great new upscale place in the third ward area near the Milwaukee Ale House. Balistreri's is right by you and has the best pizza. Check out onwisconsin.com for reviews and articles.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Sara

For a fun Irish pub with great casual food I suggest County Clare on N Astor down by the Lake. It is a B&B with great Irish food. Make sure to have the potato of the day with your meal...Always something great!

Another good pub and grill is Saz's. It is famous for bbq'd ribs but they have lots to choose from. It is closer to Brookfield -- take Hawley Rd off I-94 to State Street. It is right there. Not a very scenic area but good food.

I have to second the "Uniquely Milwaukee" vote for the Safehouse. I haven't eaten there in years either but if you go, you must know that it is in the alley across from the Pabst Theater. Part of the fun is that have to know it's there or you won't find it....It's a safehouse after all.

I can't think of anything out in the Brookfield area, but if you want the real feel of Milwaukee, I think you have to come downtown anyway. 20-30 minutes on I-94 gets you downtown most anytime of the day.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Dan

Karl Ratsch did not close. John Ernst Cafe did.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Bonnie

Karl Ratzsch's is truly the best for German in Milwaukee IMHO. Another real Milwaukee experience is the friday night fish fry at Turner's downtown. (Or most other restaurants around town). The Safehouse is amusing for first timers, but the food is nothing special. Go there for cocktails. (the Spy's Demise).
Some ideas for great ethnic food:
Three Brother's for home-cooked Serbian
Balistreri's for Italian
Any mexican spot on South 6th Street

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Bonnie

If you're looking for a brat, as far as I know, you cannot get a decent one at any restaurant. You must cook them yourself, on the grill, after boiling in beer, preferably in the parking lot before a Packer or Brewer's game. Sorry. But you can buy great Usinger's Brats at just about any grocery store or the factory store downtown.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:12 PM
travelbuff

I used to live in Chicago and had family in Milwaukee, and I have to jump in on the Safehouse too. It's a fun evening good food delivered by....well you'll just have to go and see. Lots of little rooms and fun atmosphere. Oh and the password is.....

Old Mar 4th, 2003, 02:41 PM
JES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Balestreri's is very overrated. Bottom line is there is NO good pizza in Milwaukee--so try something different. Safe house would be good for drinks, but wouldn't eat there. Maders or Karl Ratch's is a good suggestion as Milwaukee (and Wisconsin) is very German.
Sanford's is the best food in the city, but very gourmet which you can get anywhere.
Make sure to go to Kopps for a frozen custard!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 04:28 PM

Karl Ratzsch's has NOT closed, John Ernst closed. mke get your facts straight before posting. Ratszch's for lunch is awesome, nearly the same portions and half the price as dinner. Sorry this is so late Laurie, hope you went to Mader's or Ratzch's....
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 06:59 PM

Safehouse is fun----definitely go there----altho the last time I was there (probably 10 yrs ago) it was kind of run down----but still fun-----so like one of the above posters stated, I probably would just check it out and have drinks there----have fun!