Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

MB Restaurants -GoTravel, or anyone else have experiences at these locations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Myrtle Beach/Charleston area for a week, arriving Nov 3rd. Have you tried SeaBlue (North MB),
Flamingo, or Ciao? Although I've read reviews, are there other area restaurants you would recommend?
Also, any recommendations North of MB, perhaps Wilmington area? We're looking for seafood/local cuisine particularly...Thank You!
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 11:42 AM

If you are looking for local seafood then you may want to stop on your way to Wilmington in Calabash, N.C.-the local seafood capital. There are several restaurants on the waterfront you might enjoy.I have not been to Sea Blue which is near me. I thought it was more of a tapa restaurant.
I've never thought of Flamingo as a local cuisine restaurant. Not familiar with Ciao.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 01:06 PM
GoTravel

Have not been to Sea Blue but it is supposed to be excellent.

Stop in Pawleys Island and eat at Louis's (outside) or Frank's Outback (outside).

It has been years since I've eaten at Flamingo Grill and it was good then and I've heard it is still good however it isn't in the same league with the above.

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies - we'll have fun trying out new places recommended!
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:24 AM

Go down to Murrell's Inlet and eat almost anywhere.

Do NOT eat at Dockside in Calabash. The old "Ella's" is probably the best place--I can't remember it's name now. Calabash is a shadow of its former self.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:33 AM
iceeu2

Our favorite Calabash restaurant is The Seafood Hut. I'm with Gretchen, I didn't like Dockside.

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 09:25 AM

I grew up in that area. My all-time favorite restaurant for seafood or pork barbecue is Hoskins--on the main street of North Myrtle Beach (fka "Ocean Drive")
Calabash is a mere shadow of its former self--skip it.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Brutforce

I really like Ellas' specifically for the oysters & shellfish. In Little River, check out The Parsons Table (right on 17 near the NC/SC border).

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 09:51 AM
iceeu2

JaneB, please don't be telling everyone about Hoskins. You will just make me have to stand in line longer

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Sorry! I can't wait to visit again to stand in line to eat that delicious seafood cooked the way I like it. But you are correct--Hoskins should be kept a secret.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 04:27 AM

Hoskins is also a favorite of mine. You can't go wrong there.
I still like Calabash especially Colemans and the Sea Food Hut.
There are also good seafood restaurants in Murrels Inlet. My son had good seafood in Lee's Kitchen this weekend,but remarked more expensive than Calabash.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 05:56 AM
GoTravel

I have wonderful memories of eating at The Seafood Hut!

Unfortunately I haven't been there in years but I understand it is still good.

They used to own their own shrimping boat which was why the shrimp was so good and cheap.

Old Oct 30th, 2007, 07:48 AM

Not Lee's--really too expensive. Try the little shabby place near the bypass at Surfside--Inlet Crab Restaurant--just about the last restaurant in Murrell's Inlet. For more upscale seafood, Hot Fish Club was good. Russell's is consistently good. Frank's is the best restaurant north of Charleston. We are boycotting Louis's for really poor service.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 08:22 AM

You've gotten some good feedback already. Flamingo's is a reliable, good seafood restaurant.

I think Ciao is one of the best Italian restaurants in the area. It's definitely my favorite.

Sea Blue is a seafood tapas restaurant, and it is excellent.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 10:14 AM
GoTravel

Gretchen, have you been to SeeWees in Awendow yet?

OMG but it is good! Kind of like a seafood meat and three.

We always eat outside at the bar at Louis's so you may be spot on your assessment of the service.

Old Oct 30th, 2007, 06:07 PM

No, we are never in Charleston at meal time. We tried to "do" it in January when we met friends at the airport. We are out of our condo for a year while they replace the stucco (NO, WE"RE NOT PIFFED!!) so we are going elsewhere for a while. We will definitely put SeeWee on the agenda. RW Apple is the one who wrote about in the NYTimes before he died.
Our adult kids had an OUTrageoous meal at Louis's and WILL not forgive. And I am right there with them--unforgiveable. And all of them are or have been in the restaurant/service business, so know how it should go. We don't miss it.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Just came back from MB in September. Try Sarah J's in Garden City, especially their cold shrimp salad and their seafood casserole. Phillip's (a chain) is a great Maryland style (no peppers) crab place. Joe's Bar and Grill and Capt. Juel's are both excellent. Flamingo Grill is also good. I'd stay away from all the buffets.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 06:01 AM

Yes, Sarah J's is very good. It closes however--maybe November to March? So check to make sure.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! We're looking forward to trying out your suggestions, and we really appreciate your input. We'll let you know how it goes!