Reload this Page >

One night in Manhattan- where to eat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:08 AM
CLM

The SO and I are headed to NYC to catch some Yankkes/Sox games next weekend. We have only one night in NYC, and it's been awhile since I've been. Looking for somewhere that won't totally break the bank, but still with atmosphere and fab food. Suggestions? We live in Boston and favorite places here are The Capital Grille, Clio, Parish Cafe, most of the North End . . . just to give you a sense. Thanks!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Howard

Since there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of restaurants that might fill the bill, how about some more input:
1. What type(s) of food? (Most of us don't know those restaurants you mentioned.)
2. What price range? ("Break the bank" means different things to different people.)

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:35 AM
CLM

I'm thinking as far as price, I'd like to be under $150 for the two of us, including a bottle of wine. (Is that possible??) We like the range of steak to sushi to italian, somewhat broad but nothing too eclectic.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Parker

Il Mulino is Italian food you'll never forget.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:03 AM
s

For the best steak in NYC consider Peter Lugar's. It is in Brooklyn and a cab ride away but you could come in under $!50, cab fare included, if you don't order a real expensive wine. A reservation is a must.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Howard

For steak, it's definitely Peter Luger's. If you don't want to venture to Brooklyn, then Sparks on East 46th Street or the Palm on 2nd Avenue (between 44th & 45th) or West 50th Street will do fine. $150 should cover all three.
For sushi, Nobu on Hudson Street is the place, but you may not get away with keeping it under $150.
For Italian, I'd go with Babbo on Waverly Place. You should just about make the $150 cutoff there.
If you are limited to a certain area, some of these may not fill the bill. Are you free to travel anywhere in Manhattan?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:50 AM
CLM

Anywhere in Manhattan . . . Babbo is my first choice, but I'm getting a little pushback as he thinks it is going to be a $200+ dinner. Could we do it well for less?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:57 AM
sn

I think Sparks is the best steak in NYC

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Michelle

You could do Babbo for $150 without the wine. Il Giglio (Italian) is one of my favorites here in Manhattan. Located at 81 Warren Street between Greenwich and West Broadway. It's a little out of the way but the food is amazing and the service is GREAT. You could do dinner for $150 here as they have some very modestly priced wines.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 03:25 PM
x

I thought the wines at Babbo were very reasonably priced. I ate dinner w/ wine for less than $75. There is a menu for Babbo's online at www.babbonyc.com/menu2.html. I thought it was a very good place. Fab food, and a casual elegant atmosphere - not stuffy could go in a variety of dress.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Claire

Definitely, Peter Luger's for steak. It is a hike to Brooklyn but you won't regret it !