Anniversary night restaurant

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love for my husband and I to visit New York City the weekend of our 4 year wedding anniversary which is in August. We have been to NYC together once back in April 2004 so it has been five years. I would like some suggestions on where we should eat for our anniversary dinner. We are both "picky" eaters and are definitely NOT foodies! I like Italian but mainly lasagna type Italian. I like seafood but husband does not so as you can tell we are not into "fancy" type foods. We both will eat steaks/chicken. Here are my questions:

1) What is Tavern on the Green like? Is it over-hyped? I've always wanted to eat there.

2) What restaurant options do we have with out limited food range?

Thanks in advance for all the replies!
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 08:03 AM

No to Tavern on the Green, I don't care if you are not food people, NO!

How about a steakhouse?

The Palm
Primehouse
Peter Luger (though it is not fancy inside)
Dressler (across the street from Peter Luger) is very nice, classic American food, I would reccomend, it is easy--just over the Williamsburg Bridge, also not as expensive as PL but much better atmosphere.

Now that I think about it, dressler may fit your bill and not break your bank, you can look at the menu here:
http://www.dresslernyc.com/
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 09:03 AM

Tavern on the Green is a tourist trap par extraordinaire. Go for a drink and sit in the garden and eat elsewhere. There are dozens of good Italian restaurants, another dozen steakhouses and loads of good places for basic food. Since you're not foodies, I'd suggest you concentrate on the experience and location and just make sure it has food that suits you.

The River Cafe is often recommended as a celebration restaurant with great views of the NY skyline and very nice food and service. It's pricey at $100/person but they do have steak as an entree. rivercafe.com

bateauxnewyork.com is another idea with a nice dinner, live music and dancing and continually changing views of Manhattan.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 04:25 PM

Agree - the food at TOTG is poor and the prices sky high. There are a lot of good steakhouses listed - but haven't given a budget and most are upscale.

You can check menupages.com for details of prices and actual menus.

there are lots of good Italians, but it sounds like you want old fashioned red sauce Italian versus some of the newer takes, ecoing Italian regional cuisines.

River Cafe does have incredible views of the Manhattan skyline and I find it romantic, if you like the menu and it fits your budget.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 01:28 PM

Another Manhattan steakhouse worth considering is Ben Benson's, on 52nd between Sixth and Seventh, a classic NYC restaurant without the attitude of some of the more famous places.

For Southern, red-check-tablecloth Italian, have you thought of visiting Arthur Avenue in the Bronx? Dominick's and Mario's are probably the two most well-known places there. They're some distance by cab from Midtown, but one or the other might be worth the time and effort for you.