NYC eats for mom and hipsters

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Reg

NYC eats for mom and hipsters

Any suggestions for NYC restaurants that would suit a 30-something couple with a 61 year old mom in tow?

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 08:05 PM
alisan

What types of cuisine do you enjoy? Are you adventurous....sushi, Thai,
Indian, dim sum, Greek?
How about a hint.
Where are you staying? I can help you out better if I knew what neighborhood you'll be in.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 05:03 AM
here

I just topped some threads about NYC dining. There is an interesting variety of ideas in these posts. Any particular area you'll be in? Price Range? Type of food?

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Reg

We are adventurous diners, including mom. I assume we'll have to spend $50 to $80 per head for a good meal. Looking for a place that's "in", but not so noisy or obnoxious that mom would be put off. We'll stay in midtown, but we can subway or cab anywhere in Manhattan. Ate at Balthazar on a recent trip. Nice meal, but we had a long wait at the bar, in spite of our reservation--not an option on this trip.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Len

If you want to try a great place that is always in, and if you like to japanese food ( even though this is more then traditional japanese- its a fusion of mayn different styles) then try 'Nobu next door'- its actually next door to NOBU this restaurant is owned by robert deniro and extremely hard to get in, FYI jennifer lopez and ben affleck were recently caught kissing there, but nobu next door offers the same great food, but does not take reservations- so you baiscally just have to wait but its not that bad and well worth it, since eating at Nobu is truly an experience...I recommend getting the tasting namagashi plate or something like that, you tell them how much your willing to pay say 80-100 per person they ask you what type of food you like, seafood, shrimp-sushi, raw food, meat (kobe beefmmmm) then they take you on a journey through taste heaven...it allows you to tyaste great masterpieces that are recommended by the chef for first timers, in the beginning the portion might look small but trust me you leave there stuffed...the higher you go in price the more expensive the ingredients are...so what the hell if your spending 80 just do the 100 trust me...I went the 125 route for my anniversary and we still talk about the food there...good luck , information should be able to give you the exact address.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:32 AM
PK

Check out Papaya King

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Mike

Ate at Blue Water Grill a couple weeks ago in a group of 6 with ages from 22 to 58 and everyone loved it. You must like seafood! It's slightly on the trendy side right near union sq. park. Try and get a table in the "jazz Room" (downstairs). Call way ahead. Reasonably priced. The bill was $280 for 6 w/o tip and w/o dessert but included cocktails and appetizers.

I would second Nobu as that is my favorite restaurant in NYC but not for the squeamish. We had veal cheek once and it was awesome, though it is a bit pricy. We usually get out for a little over $300 for 2.

Also awesome is Grammercy Tavern. If you can't get a rez, they take walkins in the tavern room where the food is just as good, different menu, cheaper prices. About $60pp +tip. They have a great cheese selection for dessert in a classy but somewhat homey atmosphere and the staff is very friendly. Definitely the best service of the 3 restaurants I mentioned.