Reload this Page >

seaplane to dry tortugas

Search

seaplane to dry tortugas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:23 AM
rog

seaplane to dry tortugas

A buddy of mine for 30 years wants to camp out on this small island near the Keys. We havn't talked for over a year (his sister is married to my brother; I had a rift with sister-in-law) He wants to go for a week. He says they fly you over in a seaplane, leave you there, sort of stranded, and come pick you up a week later. What is best time of year to go and what else can I expect?

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:25 AM
x

Bugs and more bugs. No electricity.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:27 AM
xxx

It is closed right now because of rain.
http://www.dry.tortugas.national-park.com/

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Gene

The Dry Tortugas are 82 miles west of Key West. Bring your own water and food. It's primitive camping, no drinking water, no showers. Bring garbage bags, the garbage goes back with you. Bring a sleeping net, the mosquitos attack you 24 hours. I don't remember seeing fire rings there, bring a propane stove. On a seaplane there is a weight limit, not on a ferry. It's 45 minutes by plane, 2 1/2 hours by ferry. There is no wood to gather. There is no store, there is no ice. You take a chance during hurricane season (August thru October). I would go in November, December or July.
I've snorkelled there a couple of times.
The campers we talked to camped 2 or 3 days and were happy to get off the island. The campsites are among the picnic grounds. Large crowds during the day, you'll feel imposed on. Ferries come and go all day. If you get tired of camping you can get a ride back anytime on a ferry not so on a seaplane.
The place is very safe, park rangers are everywhere.
I Don't mean to bring you down just useful info. My wife and I love snorkelling there. Besides the history, the coral, huge fish, and colorful fish are worth the trip. The sand around the island is pure white, the water is spectacular. You are allowed to swim or snorkel only in designated areas. The rest of the area is a marine sanctuary. It's smart to wear a t-shirt while you are in the water. Sunscreen is useless -the sun is very intense.
Have fun, I'll be back someday.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:19 AM
rog

Thanks Gene. Hell, I don't know if he's wanting to go down there to revive an old friendship or to get back at me! Sounds truly intriguing this island, not to mention a great place for a "Survivor" type atmosphere!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:22 AM
x

There are day trip as an alternative.