Search

Travelling from Nassau to Exumas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travelling from Nassau to Exumas

Hi,

We will be staying at the Sheraton Nassau next week on Cable Beach and wanted to take a day trip to the Exumas. I could not find any information on the transporation to the Exumas. Can anyone offer tips/suggestion on whether speed boats are available, the cost, travel time, where to go on the Exumas, and whether at all it would be okay to travel with a 2 year old to the Exumas on a day trip?

Oh yeah, and if anyone has information on the food/restaurant selections around Cable Beach that would be appreciated as I have been hearing that the hotel restaurants are very expensive. My wife is a vegetarian.

Thanks
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 09:11 AM

Speedboats take about an hour each way, entire excursion lasts about 9 hours. Not sure they would really be suitable for a 2YO.

Check out this websits:

www.powerboatadventures.com
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 04:45 PM

The powerboat to the Exumas would NOT be a good place for a little one. The boat bounces around ALOT and your little one would most likely not have a good time.

I would suggest taking the ferry over to Harbour Island as another day option. The ferry leaves Nassau early am, and comes back early evening. The BoHengy is large enough so you won't feel the boat rocking much, and there is a cafe on board, and beautiful veiws of the water. The water is SO CLEAR you can see all the way to the bottom, and will see the fish in the water. On Harbour Island you can walk downtown and see some of the older buildings dating back to the early 1800s (Methodist Church - built by ship builders, and the roof is an inverted hull). There are several restaurants on island and an amazing beach.

Another idea is the Ardastra Zoo and Garden. It's an easy bus ride and walk down the block to the zoo. YOu might want to take a stroller along as there is alot of walking.

Have a great trip.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 10:32 AM

I agree, a powerboat would be tough on your 2 year old. But for future reference, I used High Seas Excursions and it was very nice. It's owned by two Bahamian brothers and the whole trip was very professional and well thought out. http://www.highseasbahamas.com/home/

The only restaurant I tried on Cable Beach was the Italian restaurant in the Sheraton. It was fine. It wasn't bad, but wasn't anything special, in my opinion. They did have lots of meatless pasta dishes.