Ferry to Harbour Island/Brief stay in Nassau

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling to Harbour Island in December, and would like to fly into Nassau and then take the ferry to Harbour Island. It seems the only time the ferry leaves for Harbour Island is 8am. This means we will need to stay over in Nassau. We are considering Atlantis for two nights prior to Harbour Island just to experience it, although we never would have considered if we didn't need to stop over. So...my questions are...how far is Atlantis from the ferry? Is there another option close to the ferry that would be better for a one night stay? I can't seem to find the ferry depature location online. Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 04:33 PM

The BoHengy has a website, have you tried that? www.bahamasfastferries.com

Atlantis would be a fun choice and you should be able to get a good deal staying there as well. You can also try Comfort Suites which gives you the full access to Atlantis and you are across the street so it is a bit more laid back.

The ferry leaves from the dock area very close to the Atlantis bridge so you can probably take a water taxi over to the BoHengy and be left right on Government Dock on Harbour Island where Reggie will pick you up in the cab and take you to your hotel, where there will be a welcome drink waiting for you.

During the high season the ferry was making 2 trips a day, it's only a two hour ride over. So I thought it was early am and then around 1pm to catch people coming off later flights.

Check with the hotel on the ferry, they will know the most update info.

Another suggestion would be The British Colonial which is also right downtown Nassau, they have a private beach and pool area. Lots of shopping in the immediate area and several of the good restaurants on island, like Greycliff, which is the only 5 star restaurant in the carribean. The wine cellar there is amazing. Oh and if you go, order the lobster bisque.

Any of the cab drivers on Nassau will be able to get you to the dock for the ferry and it's one of the only on time transportation outfits in the Bahamas.

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 06:19 PM

Any of the hotels mentioned would be fine for a stay, but I must add, that there is no water taxi to Potters Cay, where the BO Hengy is docked. You'll have to take cab to the dock. Nearly the same distance from Atlantis/Comfort Suites or British Colonial Hilton.
The website is www.bahamasferries.com

Old Nov 21st, 2004, 05:39 AM

Anyone know if the Glass Bridge is repaired? I heard the hurricane (s) weakened it somewhat and advisories warned not to cross it via car. I want to island hop by flying Chalks into Bimini, then Chalks to Nassau/PI, then take ferry to Harbour Island. I'd like to rent a car and explore Eleuthera. Please advise and thank you. Robert
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 07:14 AM

Robert,

Glass Window bridge is open but you are right the hurricane did a number on it and it has to be repaired. I understand that the hurricane actually moved the bridge.

You might try the www.briland.com site for more info. Locals will know the status of the bridge.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 10:51 AM

Robert

I wouldn't count on the Glass Window Bridge being repaired anytime soon. It is a 'use at your own risk' situation. Another thread with information:

http://pub9.bravenet.com/forum/693744326/show/343282
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 05:55 PM

Just so anyone reading this understands, Glass Bridge is a one car lane bridge that connects N. Eleuthera to S. Eleuthera, and when it is out of service, there is no land way to get from one half of the island to the other. The entire bridge is probably not longer than 30 feet, so it's not all that much of a bridge, but it is a VITAL link to the island.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:45 AM

When I read Robert's question about the Glass Window, I googled for news...and I found this fascinating story of one Same Pedican. I will never feel quite the same when crossing this bridge again! Read on:

http://www.wgaprc.com/Globe/Pedihunt.html
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 05:07 AM

Thanks for posting that link Joan. I'd heard about that incident but never the details that were given in that story.