Harbour Island -June 2007 questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about doing a solo trip to <font color="green">Harbour Island</font> in mid June 2007 for a week at most.

So far I like the look of both <font color="green">The Landing</font> and the <font color="green">Bahama House Inn</font>.

Any comments or alternative suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone stayed at either place recently?

I would also like to know how far the the Nassau airport is from the Bahamas Fast Dock?
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

That should be:

...the Bahamas Fast <b><font color="orchid">Ferry</font></b> Dock.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Oh...and by the way...
I'll probably end up having to stay in Nassau overnight both going and coming.
Can anyone recommend a decent hotel that's close enough to the Ferry Dock in Nassau?

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 05:29 PM

You might look into the British Colonial downtown Nassau which is quite nice, close to several good restaurants and it has a private beach pool are that are very nicely done.

The ferry to Harbour Island comes into dock by the bridge to Paradise Island, and is a short cab ride, or a few minutes walk along Bay St. The ferry will take you about 2 hours over, and you may stop at Spanish Wells and/or Eleuthera on the way. If so you will get to see a little more of the out islands. Check the schedule at www.bahamasfastferries.com

For hotels, The Landing and Bahama House are both quite nice and overlook the bay, neither have pools though and it's a bit of a walk to the beach from there. You also might look into the Big Apple Inn, Coral Sands, Romora Bay and The Sea Shell Inn. www.myharbourisland, is also a good resource for all things Harbour Island as well as www.briland.com

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

hey wantsomesun,

Thanks for the answers. I'm not too concerned about being far from the beach and definitely not interested in a hotel with a pool.

I do have quite a number of questions so I will take you up on your offer!

<b><u><font color="blue">Harbour Island :<font color="blue"></font></font></u></b>

<font color="green">I have read that June is low season in Harbour Island and I know you went to Harbour Island in June of this year.

-In June/Low Season: Would I be able to get away with extending my stay at a hotel on the spur of the moment or getting a hotel room by just showing up at the hotel?

<font color="blue"><b><u>Nassau</u></b></font>
-Are you saying that the <b>British Colonial Hilton</b> is actually within walking distance to the Ferry Dock?

-How far is the British Colonial from the NAS airport?

-Apart from the British Colonial, are there any other Nassau hotels/ B&amp;B's that are close to the Ferry Dock?

-I'll also have to overnight in Nassau on the way back home as well. What hotels (or even what area/street) would you recommend that are close to the airport?

</font>
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 06:58 PM

You might look online for a map of Nassau so you can get some ideas of distances.

The BC (as it's called by locals) is right downtown Nassau and probably 20 minute cab ride from the airport. With traffic it might be a bit longer.

Depending on how much luggage you have it is walkable to Potter's Cay where the BoHengy is docked. If you are on the early am sailing, take a taxi it's less of a hassle and you don't know Nassau yet.

Harbour Island is a bit sleepy in June so you certainly could extend your stay, but you might have to change hotels, and there are at least 10 hotels on island now, so it shouldn't be a big problem to find another, or you could rent a villa for a few nights as well.

I would not show up without reservations somewhere on island, because it might be full that particular weekend you are planning.

I think the BC is the closest hotel to the ferry dock and you might look into Orange Hill on your way back which is closest to the airport and will feel like still being on Harbour Island.

Have a great time.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

thanks wantsomesun.
I'll look into those two hotels.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 11:03 AM

You also might look at www.briland.com and www.myharbourisland.com for suggestions on hotels and what to do on island.

Orange Hill is run by friends of mine, Judy and her husband, and they are wonderful hosts. Please say HI if you decide to stay there. After Harbour Island, Orange Hill is a good place to stay, it's close to the airport and will feel much more outislandy than the other hotels on Nassau. The website is www.orangehill.com

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

wantsomesun,
I have visited the two websites as well as the Harbour Island guide website. I think I've read every single word on all those websites!

That's how I came up with the Landing and the Bahama House Inn. I also checked reviews on Tripadvisor and here on Fodor's.

To be honest, I had also seen <font color="orange">Orange Hill</font> mentioned on Tripadvisor with mixed reviews quot;&gt;. That's why I was asking about other hotels close to the airport. quot;&gt;quot;&gt;

After all the research, Harbour Island looks exactly like what I'm looking for!
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 03:50 PM

The people giving mixed reviews of Orange Hill, haven't been to an outisland, which is why I LOVE the place. Judy and Danny only have 32 rooms and they are comfortable but not 5 star, which is what I love about the place. There is also an honor bar, like the outislands. When you walk in the front door there is a welcoming drink on the bar for you, lol.

Orange Hill is far enough way from downtown that it is quiet and laid back. Each room has a patio or balcony overlooking the pool/grounds area.

Right at the bottom of the drivway is the bus into downtown and it comes every hour or better, depending on the season.

I have recommended OH to several people and with the price and closeness to the airport it is a bargin.

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

I suspect Orange Hill will be the place I will stay. I'm not fussy about hotels to be honest
As long as they're clean, not too expensive and close to where I want to be that's good enough for me.

Another question : Is there only one ferry service from Nassau to Harbour Island?
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 11:22 PM

Yes there is only 1 ferry and there are 2 sailings a day early am and early pm, depending on the weather conditions. The website is www.bahamasfastferries.com.

Some sailings the ferry stops at Spanish Wells and or Eleuthera and then the Government Dock on Harbour Island. The ferry takes about 2 hours to get there. The other option is Bahamas Air out of Nassau Airport and it's only a 15 minute flight on a 40 seater airplane.

Since the cost is about the same rt, you might fly one way and take the ferry the other direction. The flight is quite breathtaking, especially as you come down to land a N. Eleuthera. The water is so clear you can see the fish in the water, and see all the way to the bottom.

There will be taxis waiting as you get off the plane to take you to the water taxi over to the island. Ask for my buddy Wendell. When you get onisland, Reggie is the cab driver there and ask him for a tour of Harbour Island.

You also might look into Baretta's Seashell which is another cute place to stay.

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

wantsomesun,

Thanks again. I think I now have all my questions answered

I actually was looking at Baretta last night

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 09:08 AM

HARBOUR ISLAND IS BEAUTIFUL ON THE PINK SANDS SIDE, VERY LAYBACK AND NOT MUCH TO DO FOR SINGLES,YOUR GONNA NEED A STAYOVER IN NASSAU,TRY DILLETS GUEST HOUSE,IT'S A REASONABLE B&amp;B AND ONLY A SHORT RIDE THE NEXT MORNING TO CATCH THE BO-HENGY TO HARBOUR ISLAND.I WOULD STAY AT THE LANDING RATHER THEN THE BAHAMA HOUSE,IT'S RIGHT ACROSS FROM THE FERRY DOCK. YOU CAN RENT A GOLF CART TO GET ALL OVER THE 3 MILE ISLAND.I HAVE PERSONALY BEEN IN OR ON ALL MENTIONED.
I GO ALONE ON OCCASION TOO.

RICK
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rick. Dillet's has gotten good reviews on Trip Advisor.

It apparently isn't a B&amp;B anymore though.