Getting to Harbour Island?

Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting to Harbour Island?

My family and I are intrigued by Harbour Island, but we don't do small planes very well; the ferry, however, would work for us. Question for you Bahama experts, can you take the ferry in the afternoon (we will need to fly from D.C.) or do you need to spend the night in Nassau, then take a ferry in the morning? If that is the case, a nice hotel recommendation convenient to the ferry would be great.

Also, how far is the ferry from the airport?

Thanks in advance for helping me puzzle this through!

Mary
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 04:53 AM

have a look at this (my favourite) website about Harbout Island:
http://www.myharbourisland.com/boat.htm there is some info about how to get there (for more, use the message boards mentioned below)

There is another great website, which seems to be out of order at the moment, just try again later, especially the forum !
http://www.briland.com/> enter > Message Board "Briland Modem"

This Eleuthera Message Board is also very popular: http://boardserver.superstats.com/li...ennett&f=1

hope this helps until the Bahama experts jump in...

Cheers, Johanna
http://www.bahamaslinks.ch
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 10:28 AM

Hi,

I think the ferry is doing 2 trips a day to Harbour Island so if you are on the first flight out in the morning you should be able to make the second sailing.

The ferry leaves from the dock downtown Nassau, (the BoHengy), and the website is www.bahamasfastferries.com I think, but will double check.

The cab ride downtown is about $20 but make sure with the cab driver before you get in the cab.

If you can't make the second sailing, I would suggest the British Colonial Hilton as a good suggestion for overnight, as it is walkable to the ferry from there. They also have a nice pool and beach area and there are some really good restaurants also within walking distance.

Where are you staying on island?
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for the replies; wantsomesun, we have a 5-year old so we were thinking of Coral Sands (I realize children are staying at Pink Sands, in fact have read the article in Travel & Country magazine that suggested it!, but I don't spend that kind of money on my 5-year old or want to bother anyone who is!!!).

I really appreciate the good advice.

Mary
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 06:38 PM

Marymarra:

Coral Sands would be a good choice, they have a nice pool and a great beach bar/restaurant, with easy access from the beach for the little one for cold drinks.

There are usually families there, so your little one may find a playmate or two to hang around with.

Depending on when you are going there is also an island day care center and you might want to try it for a day, all the teachers there are liscensed, and the children are so sweet and welcoming.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Have a GREAT time.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Hilton to the Fast Ferry is walkable? Hmmmm! FYI the Fast Ferry is due to go into dry dock the first 2 wks of Sept.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 09:46 AM

Doesn't the BoHengy leave from the same dock as the cruise ships? Has that changed? If not the BC is a short walk to the ferry.

The website for the ferries is www.bahamasfastferries.com. That should give you the latest info.

Harbour Island slows down in September and October, although several of the resorts are now open all year round like Pink Sands.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 01:30 AM

The Bo Hengy leaves from Potters Cay dock which is at the foot of the bridges to P.I The Cat which used to do Fla-Nassau docked at Prince George wharf AKA cruise ship dock.