One day in wine country- where would you go?

Old Oct 30th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

One day in wine country- where would you go?

My husband and I are spending a long weekend in San Francisco next week. We've been to SF a few times, and while we will spend the majority of our time there, we would also like to drive up to wine country for the day. We've been to Sonoma a few times, and have always enjoy the area. My dilemma is whether we should still spend the day there or venture over to Napa- and if we do which wineries would you recommend?
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 11:55 AM

If you have been to Sonoma already, then Napa is a great idea. There are almost too many wineries to mention, and you will find the vast majority of them very easily.

First of all I suggest that you determine whether you are really into wine, or just casual wine drinkers who are on vacation. The types of wineries will differ depending on how you catagorize yourselves.

There is a lot of traffic on weekends, and really only two roads - a main highway and the Silverado trail. If you are on the highway I then suggest that you go in one direction and then come down in the other direction, because trying to turn left out of these wineries is a gigantic pain with the traffic coming non-stop.

Every hotel, Fodors, and every other travel site and google will give you suggestions for wineries. I'll leave that to you and others who post here.

Main point is that you will love Napa, so have a great time!
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 12:04 PM

We spent a weekend in Napa and really enjoyed it - we liked Robert Mondavi, Berringer, Sterling, and Niebaum-Copola. Each winery had something unique to offer - Berringer had caves you could tour, NC had a lot of movie memorabilia, Sterling had a tram you could ride, and at Mondavi, we got to pick grapes in the field and taste the different varieties. If you have time, we did a hot air balloon ride, and it was amazing.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Sonoma has many areas that are quite unique - Russian River is our favorite and has some amazing wines and wineries.

There are several areas worth spending a day in Sonoma including:

Russian River
Healdsburg area proper
Dry Creek Valley
Anderson Valley
Kenwood - Glen Ellen
Carneros Region of Sonoma
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 10:54 AM

In Napa is Domaine Carneros which a lovely place to visit, they produce some really great Pinot Noir here.

Our last visit to Napa Valley this past March, we enjoyed tasting at Peju Province. Domaine Chandon in Yountville is also very nice, we enjoyed our wine out on the outdoor patio there, they also offer tours if you're interested in that.

For great meals in this area, we loved REDD, Ad Hoc, Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen and Cyrus in Healdsburg is amazing. Enjoy your travels! ***kim***
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 01:58 PM

Consider the Russian River/Dry Creek/Alexander Valley area. It's much less busy than Napa and has some very nice wineries.

Napa is beautiful as well. It was just such a contrast to the Sonoma area our last visit there. From very few people to crowds.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 09:18 PM

I assume you have visited the town of Sonoma... in the county of Sonoma. Several posters have suggested you visit Healdsburg and the Alexander and Dry Creek areas. This is in Northern Sonoma County. Its much more beautiful and less crowded than anywhere in Napa county.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 01:07 PM

I recommend Healdsburg and Geyersville area the Russian River and Dry Creek valleys if you go with Sonoma.
For Napa, Artesa and Carneros Creek are almost just across the highway from Domaine Carneros and worth visits. Also in Napa, with advance reservations, Schramsburg for great sparkling wine. Sterling's tram and tasting room gives you a nice view of valley. I like Sequoia Grove for Cabernet and my wife's favorite Chardonnay is from Rombaurer (on Silverado Trail). Mumm Napa and Domaine Chandon are other sparkling wine choices.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

We've been to Sonoma area twice. The first time we spent our couple days right in Sonoma. The second trip we were staying in Glen Ellen, so that was our focus.

We're going there on a Thursday, so I think the crowds won't be an issue in Napa (though I'm sure I could be wrong!)

I do like the idea of the Russian River/Healdsburg area, I've wanted to visit there as well as Napa.

Guess I have some fast decisions to make and soon... I leave Wednesday night!