Need Suggestions on Wine Tasting Day Guided Tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi...hope you can give feedback. Which one-day wine tour is the best in San Fran? And should I go to Napa or Sonoma? I found the Deluxe Wine Tour with Super Sightseeing Tours for $57 that goes to both Napa and Sonoma? Anyone went on that tour. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 08:39 AM

Hi! Seeing both Napa and Sonoma in one day is VERY difficult. You may want to pick one location over the other to get the most out of your trip.

I can't advise as to specific tours, as I've never taken one (I live in SF) but for a small price, you can rent a car, and explore on your own. It's VERY easy to drive to either Napa or Sonoma, and the wineries are easy to find as well. You may find it a lot more fun to go at your own pace and rent a car.

The wineries are usually open 10-4. This will allow you about 4 wineries to visit plus lunch in one day. (I have no idea how a one day trip includes both Napa and Sonoma!)

The tours will take you to the wineries that have big parking lots and can accomodate buses. However, if you drive, you will be able to go wherever you please. You may find some hidden gems in smaller wineries than things like Sebastiani, Viansa (Sebastiani's children, Vicky and Sam...hence "Viansa"), or Coppola. Those wineries don't necessarily have the best wines, but can accomodate buses and huge crowds. You will get a feel for the wine country, but you will have a much better experience if you find some smaller wineries on your own without buses.

Although it's very easy to get around both Napa and Sonoma, if you decide not to drive, you can always hire a driver for the day. Just a thought.

Now, Napa vs Sonoma. Not sure how into wines you are. Napa will probably have some more names that you are familiar with, Mondavi, Clos du Val, Groth, Silver Oak, etc. Napa is more known for it's cabernet sauvignon's. Sonoma has some big names as well, but also a lot of smaller wineries...and is known for Zinfandels (RED, not white), syrahs, etc. Napa's wineries are off two main roads, rt. 29 or the Silverado trail to the East. In Sonoma, they may be a bit more spread out, but the back roads are winding through the vineyards and make you feel like you are lost in France or Italy. (Not really lost!) but it is beautiful! Bring your camera!

So....I would choose, Napa or Sonoma. Perhaps plan a tour if you're not familiar with how wine is made, Mondavi in Yountville (Napa) gives a great tour! then plan on about 3 more wineries throughout the day, plus lunch. (Please remember to eat and drink water if you are doing wine tasting!)

Hope this helps. Have a great time. It's a beautiful area!
Andiamo
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Just me but I would take Sonoma over Napa any day. There are "wine trail" maps available in many stores etc. I know it's harder when you are a visitor...I am originally from the Bay Area and my brother lives in Sonoma County, but there are so many wineries and some of the small ones have great wines and you can talk to the owner or wine maker and many don't charge for tasting. You can just start driving and there is just winery after winery after winery. It can make a lovely day if you have the time to spare. I went on the wine tour last winter and there were 85 wineries participating and that just scratched the surface. We stopped at places I had never heard of and I got several bottles of terrific wine..at least to MY taste buds and that's all that matters. You might be able to google tourist information for Sonoma County and get a map on line. It could be an adventure.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 08:53 AM

I forgot to add...don't know what days of the week you are going but the one downside might be that sometimes the smaller wineries are not open everyday, like maybe the first couple days of the week. They are usually ALL open on the weekend and Sonoma County is a little quieter than Napa.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 11:01 AM

winecountry.com is a good website to check out. We did a limo tour that was fun. Both Napa and Sonoma are great fun to visit and some of our favorite places to be. Enjoy!
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 01:04 PM

I agree with most here. Sonoma is a little smaller than Napa. Not nearly as stuffy and you will actually be-able to afford the wine. Crowds on weekends in Napa are terrible. Tasting fees are high.

Sonoma is a little more casual - and I would also rent a car and do it on my own. The drive is pretty. You could easily spend a week in Sonoma and not hit all of the wineries. Try for 4 with lunch in the middle. Cline cellars are very friendly as is Ravenswood. Nice grounds at Ravenswood for picnic. Vela Cheese shop in Sonoma is killer. Sonoma cheese in Sonoma is good also but anywhere near the quality of Vela Cheese.

Have fun!