Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best mode of transportation between Napa Valley wineries?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2015, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be visiting Napa Valley for the first time in November 2015 during the Thanksgiving holiday. Our group consists of 6 adults, between ages of 28 - 80 years old (my grandparents will be with us, but they are very mobile and get around easily). We'll be staying in Sonoma for a week.

We're planning to fly into San Francisco and rent a car to drive to Sonoma, and we'll use the car to get around within Sonoma and Napa during the week.

My question is....what's the best mode of transportation between wineries in Napa and in Sonoma? Do most people drive themselves and park at each winery? Is there a fee for parking at most wineries in both of these areas? If so, how much is parking typically??

I'm wondering if I should plan an organized winery tour for our group, but those can get very expensive!
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Plenty of good tours listed on this site: http://www.visitnapavalley.com/transportation_tours.htm
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:30 AM

People do drive between wineries in all of the Wine Country regions. It's not a good idea, if you plan on actually drinking the wines (instead of spitting). Wine tours are, yes, a bit pricey, but I personally prefer the respite from driving.

Just about all of the wineries I've been to have ample free parking for visitors. They already stick you for tasting fees, so I think that's the least they could do.

Tour buses/trolleys generally pick up at all the area hotels in the Napa and Sonoma Valleys. Our last trip up was to Sonoma, and the wine trolley picked us up at the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn, right in the porte-cochère. The only way to fly...!!
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You can drive yourselves. 3 or 4 wineries will be plenty to visit on a day and just designate a sober driver.
Old May 13th, 2015, 04:34 PM

I think you should drive between wineries. If you visit Healdsburg, there are tasting rooms all around the Plaza so no need to drive. Plus there are cute shops and great restaurants too. Healdsburg is in Sonoma County which is not the same as the town of Sonoma. One probably doesn't do more than 4 wineries in a day, and you can split the tasting so you only pay for one and not a tasting for everyone.....unless you want to. Parking is free. Personally I think Sonoma County is more scenic than Napa.
If its your cup of tea, visit the author Jack London's home in Glen Ellen between the town of Sonoma and Santa Rosa. Its quite interesting.
Old May 14th, 2015, 05:41 AM

I always drive and spit to ensure I stay sober enough to drive and to actually taste the wine. Parking is free at every winery I have ever been to.

One tour or other interactive program isn't a bad idea. After the one, they all end up looking pretty much the same, but it is nice every once in a while. IMO, Mondavi has the best selection of educational programs but they do get pricey. Pride does a nice tour too, but I don't remember how much it cost.

With regard to tasting fees, they can be $20 or so, but you can usually split and they are usually waived if you buy. Also, there are several free tastings in Sonoma if you have a Visa Signature card:

http://www.sonomawine.com/visa-signature-perks
Old May 21st, 2015, 05:07 AM

Make sure you get 2 for 1 coupons. (1) Go on-line to wine country.com or similar and download (2) download a mobile app (3) If you are staying at a hotel -- ask the concierge or (4) stop at the Chamber. Tasting fees can get expensive so do your homework first.

My first stop in wine country is always Viansa ($5 tasting fee) and next door is Jacuzzi (free tasting) -- not as fond of their wines but adjacent to them is the Olive Press, so you can also do olive oil tastings (free). Both Viansa and Jacuzzi have nice market areas.

Have fun.
Old May 21st, 2015, 06:06 AM

We always split one tasting and always drive ourselves. Parking is always free. Tasting fees vary, and are almost always waived with purchase (in our experience, always). I try to plan our stops such that we can get some food somewhere along the way, and we always have water in the car, and usually a snack. With that large a group, I'd buy a case of water and an assortment of fruit and chips/crackers/granola bars for the car.

Enjoy!