Sparkling Wine Tour-Napa and Sonoma

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Sparkling Wine Tour-Napa and Sonoma

We would like to take one sparkling wine tour during our 3-day weekday venture into Napa/Sonoma in a couple of weeks. If you could only pick one sparkling wine winery for a tour, which one would you pick? Why? Which one would you not pick? Why not? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 08:36 PM

If I had to pick just one it would be Schramsburg in the Napa Valley.
Second choice Domain Chandon. Third choice Domain Carneros.
by the way, if you pick Carneros, be sure to visit Artesa, across the highway a bit for the spectacular views. They also pour a Spanish sparkler from the parent company.

If I picked one to avoid it would be Mumm Napa, butfor a rather petty reason. Four of us rented a limo a couple of years ago for an all sparkling wine day and Mumm said becuase we were in a limo we weren't welcome, despite both couples belonging to their wine club.

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 11:29 PM

We liked Roederer in Sonoma County, but it's pretty far north.
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

boom_boom
In protest, I will not visit Mumm.

Actually, Schramsberg does sound the most interesting, so Schreamsberg it will be.
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 07:36 AM

I would definitely recommend Mumm Napa. Mumm has a very Napa Valley feel. The tasting is different than most wineries. You are seated at a table and waited on like a restaurant. The outdoor seating has a beautiful view of the valley, and their free tour is very good (if you are going on a week day you can get a two for one tasting coupon at the Napa Visitors Center - at least you could in January when I visited).
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 10:48 AM

"We liked Roederer in Sonoma County, but it's pretty far north"

Yes, it's so far north it's actually in Mendocino County. It is though an excellent bubbly producer (maybe the best in CA). They have tours for only $6 per person.

Schramsberg in the Napa Valley is a great choice too. It's got history, beautiful gardens, and great sparkling wine. It's the producer that first put CA sparkling wines on the world map. It does require advance reservations and a $35 per person fee for the tour.

One place not mentioned by the others is Gloria Ferrer in Schellville. They have a lovely patio overlooking the valley below and their wines are pretty good too.