SanFran - wine country in 2 days?

Old May 5th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

SanFran - wine country in 2 days?

My friends and I are trying to fit in a quick trip to the wine country during a trip to San Francisco. We have less than 2 days to work with (Leave SF noon-ish Day 1, return evening Day 2). Is this trip possible? If so, how? I don't know the geography there very well. Should we focus on Napa, Sonoma, other...? Any suggestions for towns/areas, etc within our range of travel?

thanks in advance!
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:57 AM

Wine country is easily done as a day trip.

Sonoma valley wineries are smaller more intimate places. Napa valley wineries are bigger, more polished corporate entities. They sell wine you are likely to have heard of.

Either valley is a worthy destination, but for a day trip, you need to chose one.
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:24 AM
cd

bigz
Just returned from SF and went to Sonoma on a day trip. Benziger wineries is an hour from SF (you can download a map from their website) and offers tram tours into their vineyards and is very educational. From there you can get back on highway 101 heading North toward Healdsburg. We were told there are over 200 wineries in this whole area and I believe it! Chateau Souverain Winery is past Healdsburg and has a wonderful restaurant for lunch with great views (tasting is free if you eat there). Also,you can order a Russian River Wine Road map which covers Alexander Valley, Dry Creek Valley and Russian River Valley by going to their web site www.wineroad.com or calling 800-723-6336. Have fun!!
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:43 AM

If you do an overnight trip..bear in mind that most B&B's and hotels in Napa/Sonoma etc require multi night stays...day trip is good. Napa has more wineries than Sonoma.
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:31 PM

You can do it as an overnight and it is possilbe mid-week to find places for one night. I far prefer Sonoma over Napa. I think you also get a better sense of working vineyards in Sonoma.