How many days in wine country?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be going to the California wine country as part of a larger trip in August. We are not big wine drinkers (I can't drink at all) so we would want to visit a few wineries but spend most of our time seeing the lovely countryside and other sights. How many days do you think we should spend there? Should we stay in one place or two?
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:26 PM

I have only been to Sonoma County and would recommend it. The scenery in Russian River Valley is lovely. We headquartered in Healdsburg. Cute little town, good restaurants, friendly people. There is a web site that might help: http://www.wineroad.com/

Enjoy. Especially liked Ferrari Carano. Lovely grounds, very helpful folks in the tasting area.
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:38 PM

If you are not a wine drinker, find where they have olive oil tasting instead of wine.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Where you should visit depends on where else you are going on this trip and where you are flying in/out of. There are other wine areas in California besides Napa/Sonoma.

If you are not big wine drinkers, 2 nights would probably be plenty.

MY
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:45 AM

Firstly, Sonoma Valley is MUCH nicer than Napa Valley.

Some attractions:

- Sonoma town is very beautiful, with a nice plaza and lots of historic structures (including the northernmost of the California missions).

- Jack London State Park in Sonoma Valley with the remains of his home.

- On the mountain ridge between northern Sonoma and Napa Valleys there is a petried forest.

- In the northern section of Napa Valley, there is a quite impressive geyser ("Old Faithful") in Calistoga. There a spas in Calistoga too.

- A little bit south of Calistoga, there is a historic gristmill roadside.

- Many wineries are interesting because of the gorgeous buildings and grounds and because of their gift shops which sell really good staff, including food. Especially in Kenwood you find some really grand buildings (e.g. Chateau St. Jean, Ledson).

- Generally, delicatessen are a good topic in wine country. Visit the Cheese Factory in Sonoma, boutiques and supermarket. There is a supermarket in St. Helena with an amazing supply of high-quality food (what about fresh truffle butter?).

- You find several working ranches with horseriding etc.

- Generally, the landscape is very attractive for hiking, biking or scenic drives. Especially the roads over the mountain ridge which separates both valleys are scenic. But I also like the valley ground with orchards, forests, meadows and vineyards, e.g. Glen Ellen.
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:48 AM

I forgot to answer the question:

You can easily spend two or even three full days in wine country - also without drinking wine.

Here is my trip report, the latter parts are about wine country. We spent 1 and half days there and it was way too short. (With just two wine tastings which lasted maybe 20min each.)
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:49 AM

I forget the link. Sorry.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ne-country.cfm
Old May 14th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. This is very helpful.
Old May 14th, 2009, 10:55 AM

2-3 days BR Cohn (olive oil)would be a good stop as well as Preston(great bread), Ledson (deli & picnic area), Ferrari-Carrano (the winery itself)& Gloria Ferrer (champagne caves). All Sonoma btw, which would also be my choice. You could go up the Coast via Pt. Reyes & Jenner, & cutover in Jenner thru Occidential & work your way back down. Assuming you are starting in San Francisco.
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:57 PM

I don't know why people who want to promote Sonoma have to bash Napa. Both areas have their own charms. It's like comparing Bordeaux and Burgundy in France. To say that the Sonoma Valley is much nicer than the Napa Valley just shows that the person has not really seen Napa. Just drive over the Trinity/Oakville Grade from Glen Ellen to Oakville and you will see what I mean.

Sure, Napa is more expensive and has more visitors but so is New York compared to say Pittsburg.

Anyone visiting the Wine Country should visit both Napa and Sonoma to appreciate their differences.
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Kal

Yeah....what MichelleY said!!!

And what SuperC said while selling seashells by the seashore.
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM

Napa Valley is beautiful, as is Sonoma. The Sonoma Coast and Redwoods at Armstrong Woods are worth visiting. West Sonoma County is beautiful and funky. Sebastopol is sometimes called little Berkley. Lots of other little towns on your way to the coast. (Freestone, Forestville and Valley Ford) Healdsburg is a little bit of Napa West. Napa is more upscale. I feel it's a gift to live in West Sonoma County, 1 hour to the city and 25 minutes to the most pristine coast, 20 minutes to Armstrong Woods, and 45 minutes to Point Reyes. Food is incredible in both places.
Old May 15th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. All these responses really help me plan our trip.
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:25 AM

Most of us who prefer Sonoma do so because we have visited Napa. I do have a few Napa favorites. However, Sonoma is more friendly, cheaper, less pretentious, quirky & have wines that are just as good (if not better) than Napa (& more interesting wine makers as well, in my opinion). I know those are generalizations, but I think most Sonoma lovers would agree. If you want to hit a bunch of wineries quickly, then by all means go to Napa.