Search

Old Port Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Port Hotels?

Hi everyone! Based on some advice here on the forums, we have decided to stay in Portland for a few nights. Old Port would be my first choice, but willing to stay elsewhere if the prices are a lot better. Any hotel recommendations? Thank you very much in advance!
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 09:54 AM

You'll need to tell us what your budget is.

We go really low-end in Portland because we're always on the way to Bar harbor with a dog, so yes you can get fairly cheap (under $100) lodging outside of town.

~Liz
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 03:14 AM

Yes, the downtown hotels are really expensive here. Cheaper options are in the mall/airport area, a 10 min drive to downtown. Are you really going to stay downtown for all your activities or are you planning to explore? If you're going to spend most of your time exploring outside of the city (Freeport shopping, visiting the coast in cape Elizabeth/Portland Head light, going to the beach) it might make more sense to stay elsewhere.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 03:41 AM

If "fairly cheap" means
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 04:48 AM

Well, not an expert, but I've looked at the Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront, which is right next to Standard Bakery, where we always go for breakfast, and that's about $250. a night...more than we want to spend for a single night on the road.

~Liz
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 05:17 AM

As other posters have said, you will do better on price at the chain hotels outside of the downtown area. The Portland area is compact and easy to get around, and, as noted, it'll only take you a few minutes to get into Portland from these other locations. That being said, it is a different experience to stay at a hotel in town and be able to walk to everything, pop back into your room during the day, stroll back after a late dinner etc. But, in Portland, this comes at a price and only you can decide what it is worth to you. I have stayed at the Portland Regency Hotel which I found to be charming. It's "expensive" (around $250 for a room with two double beds) but I was spitting the cost with a girlfriend, so it was affordable for each of us. I've also stayed at the Holiday Inn By the Bay which is... a Holiday Inn. Rooms on one side of the building (south?) have views of the water and there is an indoor pool. The locations of the Portland Harbor Hotel, Residence Inn and Hilton Garden Inn in the Old Port are also excellent, but I have no personal experience staying there.