hotel just outside downtown portland OR

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotel just outside downtown portland OR

any recommendations for a hotel just outside the city? we like a place where we can park our own car, refrig in room. breakfast right at the hotel - even if typical motel breakfast. etc.

Most of the things we plan to do in portland (before we take off for the coast) are slightly outside the downtown. will spend one day driving to gorge. one day in town and one day slightly out of the city at japanese,etc. gardens, visiting friends, etc.

thanks for any ideas.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 06:57 AM

The Japanese Gardens are right in town.

Which area are your friends located? The gorge is just east of downtown, but very close. There are some unique places to stay in this area. But if your friends are on the west side, for example, then staying in downtown would be more central for everything.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 07:01 AM

Just outside downtown Portland meaning the Westside where the main hotels are or the Eastside also?

Just outside would put you in another town, Beaverton, Tigard, there are motels along the highway and you can go across the river into Vancouver and stay on Jensen Beach.

But all of this seems to be putting you farther out of Portland than you would want to be.

All or almost all hotels in Portland have a fridge in the room and breakfast at the hotel.
If you don't want to use the hotel parking, you can use SmartPark lots, located all over town.

The Japanese Gardens are not out of the city..they are in Portland..You can walk to them from NW 23rd Street.
The Gorge is a 30 min drive from downtown.
The Coast is a 90 min drive.

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 07:01 AM

lol, I was typing as mms was posting.

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 07:50 AM

We like Northrup Station on Nob Hill--a great neighborhood.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

ok I see what you mean. will continue to explore downtown hotels.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 09:39 AM

Joanel...there are all sorts of options for all sorts of budgets..
The Inn at Northrup Station is on Northrup and NW21st, in the NW section of town..the Streetcar stops right at the Inn so you will not really need a car while staying IN town.
www.innatnorthrupstation.com

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 09:42 AM

http://www.northrupstation.com/

Sorry! Here is the correct link
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Agree with happytrails, Nob Hill is a cool area, the Inn @ Northrup Station is colorful and looks like a great place to stay, it is walking distance to two of our favorite restaurants in Portland, Wildwood and Paley's Place. There are lots of boutiques here and Moonstruck Chocolates, stop in at Escape From New York for some great pizza. We also loved the cupcakes at St. Cupcake in this area.

For a downtown hotel, the Heathman is very nice, they have a great restaurant here also, where we enjoyed dinner and brunch. Try booking on the POVA website for good rates that include complimentary breakfast and parking. Enjoy your travels! ***kim***
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

it isn't so much the money as the convenience of a smaller motel. free parking right outside, have buffet breakfast there, often free internet versus $9.95/day.

will have a car. need it, and will probably stay somewhere in the city.

thanks for all your help!
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Then look at the Holiday Inn Express on NW Vaughn .. in the NW area of town.
Typical Holiday Inn kind of place..with parking .

On the Eastside of town there are places that are more motel-ish..
If you look at Jensen Beach..over the bridge to Vancouver..you can find all the big name chain places..
Otherwise..Tigard..about 30 min outside of Portland has the same chain places.

Portland is like most cities..IN town..you will find the larger more expensive hotels who charge for parking etc.
You can use POVA and as my friend "oregone" on TripAdvsor says, he used something like Priceline and got a nice place for #55 a night..lol.

Good luck with the search..
Get a map, that will help a lot!
or use to map for the Portland Streetcar..
google it..

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 03:39 PM

Also check the Silver Cloud Inn. It has many of the items you are looking for and has great freeway access to I-405 close by (easy connection to other highways). It's not as close to the restaurants on NW 21st and NW 23rd in the Nob Hill area as the Inn at Northrup Station, but that may not be a major consideration for you. A short bus ride south on 23rd will get you there.
http://www.silvercloud.com/08features.htm

Another restaurant to try is Cafe Mingo on NW 21st. Try one of the following links for an overview of the Nob Hill area.

http://www.portlandneighborhood.com/nobhill.html

http://mapclicks.com/Location/Oregon/Portland/Nob-Hill/
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 03:41 PM

Forgive my typos

Here is the Portland Streetcar site Map.

http://www.portlandstreetcar.org/map.php

You can use this to figure where a hotel is in Downtown Portland.
Hope this helps.

On the map you will see NW 23rd and NW 21st..that is the area that some tourists refer to as "Nob Hill". But you won't find any "Nob Hill" on a map.

Good luck!
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 05:28 PM

Although, a google search for "Nob Hill Portland" will turn up the Nob Hill Business Association.

nobhillbiz.com/
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 05:08 AM

LOL, yes it will.
But a real map, if you look, has no neighborhood called Nob Hill on it.

But it doesn't really matter, except in possibly leading someone to ask for Nob Hill when asking for directions or for someone to say (again) that they could not find Nob Hill on the map..

Since no one I know in Portland calls it that, I learned to just call it NorthWest like the rest of the locals.
But you never know, it might catch on this time if enough people call it that
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 08:19 AM

I agree, Scarlett, when neighborhood names start showing up on Portland maps, using "Nob Hill" would make sense in giving directions. That some posters persist in using it makes me wonder if they're trying more to make an impression than give advice.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 08:48 AM

I agree, Scarlett, when neighborhood names start showing up on Portland maps, using "Nob Hill" would make sense in giving directions. That some posters persist in using it makes me wonder if they're trying more to make an impression than give advice.

Huh? T

his is the name given to the neighborhood on http://www.travelportland.com
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 08:56 AM

The comment wasn't directed to you, htty. Still, I don't know why someone would direct visitors to Nob Hill when NW Portland or NW 21st and 23rd are more specific. Or, at least provide a link so the OP doesn't have to Google to figure it out.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 08:56 AM

I agree with the NW name vs Nob Hill. We have two friends that live in the heart of that area, and they do not refer to their neighborhood as Nob Hill, but rather NW. If you ask the locals for Nob Hill, they tell you it is in SF.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM

LOL

Although Portland is divided up into quadrants NW, SE, etc. It may be more helpful to use street names to be more precise. Just remember to add the compass indicator! Otherwise we could give visitors fits trying to find that place in "Goose Hollow" or the "Pearl" without wandering a large area for some time.

Now where was I going? Was it John's Landing or St. Johns???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -