Portland,Maine Info????

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:48 PM
BARRY

Portland,Maine Info????

Message: I may have 2 free airline tix for last weekend in Sept and thought since it is on USAir a long weekend in Portland might work since it is a diect flight from Phl..Once there is there enough to do for 2/3 days and will we need to rent a car? We like good food ,cute B&Bs and I love to antique and look for flea markets.Open for any ideas or other weekend trips....Thanks

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 02:42 PM
Lois

There is plenty to do in Maine for a couple days. Personally, I'd be surprised if you didn't end up wishing you had more time there. And, yes, you do need a car, at least, if you want to take advantage of all that the area has to offer. Tops on my list would be driving up to Acadia Nat'l Park, but driving anywhere along the coast is beautiful. And, driving inland you will come across some beautiful lakes and mountains. B&B's are plentiful in this area.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 02:58 PM
Leslie

From the Jetport, you can actually take the bus into Portland (I think it is the number 5 bus), so it won't be necessary to rent a car as long as you want to explore the Eastern Promenade, Western Promenade and Old Port in Portland. I used to live in Portland, and yes, there is enough to do in 2 days. Try bidding on Priceline for hotels in Portland.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 08:21 PM
luv lobster rolls

Just got back from another trip to Portland and would like to add these tips. I personally think that adding Acadia Park is too much for just 2 days-too much driving. If you cannot afford to stay downtown Portland and cannot get the B and B you want,then opt to stay out at all the different hotels by the Maine Mall.They are only about an 8 minute drive from downtown and its easy. Yes, you definitely need to rent a car-all the major carriers are there but rent ahead especially if you are going in the next few months as they get quite a few tourists up there at this time of the year.
For 2 days there, I would definitely include going out to Two Lights by Cape Elizabeth(just past South Portland). Be sure and treat yourself to great seafood at the Lobster Shack right on the beach-casual,good price and fabulous. The scenery is to die for and you will enjoy the food. Hit the Portland Headlight as you are coming back in-the first lighthouse commissioned by George Washington and the symbol of Portland. Cutesy stores in downtown Portland;drive up to LL Bean in Freeport-antiques on the way,etc. Boothbay area with Rockland/Camden is gorgeous and even going south to Kennebunkport,etc. is great. You will definitely wish that you had more time there.Do allow enough time for security going home as they are very strict in Portland after what happened on 9/11 and the terrorists using that airport to leave from!Have a great time and remember....if you are desperate for a lobster roll and are not around a seafood place-hit McDonalds for one. They are in season and only about $4.75. They are a great substitute for the expensive ones.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 09:16 PM
jbj

definitely rent a car and head up the coast. The leaves will just be changing and the weather tends to be mild and sunny in late Sept. Lots of antiquing up route 1, maybe go up as far as Searsport or Belfast. Should be lots of places with openings and you probably don't even need to reserve in advance, just go where the road takes you. Belfast, Camden, Boothbay, all would be nice overnight stops. Maybe spend your last night at a B&B in Portland (Pomegranate Inn?) so that you'll have an easy jaunt to the airport on departure day.

I can't see spending the entire 3 days in Portland however with so much beautiful coast just up the road.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 07:38 AM
barry

Thanks for the help...it was suggested by several friends that we go north and spend time working up the coast route towards Camden with a trip to Mohegan Island and a stop at the Farnsworth Museum,so with that in mind i am looking for places to stay and i don`t think i will need reservations at the end of Sept.Just nice small B & Bs and great places to eat..We are going to try to stay from Wed-Sun...Thanks

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Lois

I would rethink not having reservations. It actually is a busy travel time, due to the beginning of fall folliage. I had difficulty getting a nice B&B for one week later. However, if you are not particular about your lodging, then you should be okay, at least, during the week.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 12:33 PM
mare

Friday's New York Times (8/2/02) had a 2 page pullout guide called "36 Hours in Portland". Not sure if you can access it online or not.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:49 AM
carol

You will DEFINITELY need reservations if you plan to stay at a B.&B.Try theFIVE GABLES inn in Boothbay Harbor. They have a website. The food is fabulous, and the innkeepers are great! The place is beautiful too. it's about an hour drive from the airport, and the other cities , like Camden are not ll that far. Acadia is wayyyyyy to far to drive. The shopping by the harbor in Portland can be done in one hour ( we were just there) Go on a clambake called " Cabbage Island Clambake" out of Boothbay. It's a blast, and awesome lobster and clams, and a scenic cruise. They also have a website.Have fun there, I would loive there in a minute!!!!!!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 12:42 PM
KenCT

The NYTimes article to which Mare refers is http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/02/travel/02HOUR.html

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 01:10 PM
barry

Does it make sense to just book one B&B for the 4 days we will be there and then do day trips...like in Boothbay Harbor or some place else that is convenient???? Thanks again for all of the help

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Envy

I'd stay at the Black Point Inn at Prout's Neck and do days trips: Portland, Kennebunkport, Rockport, etc. Make sure you have reservations somewhere, however, as that is foliage season!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 01:41 PM
carol

I would book one place, only so you don't have to unpack so many times. Although, we just had 4 nights there, and we did 2 nights in Boothbay harbor, and 2 nights then in Kennebunkport.We went to Freeport from Boothbay one night, cause L.L. Bean is open 24 hrs. That was fun. Boothbay Harbor is convienent to everything north from there, but our itinerary we loved the best.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 01:46 PM
carol

I forgot to mention that we stayed @ Bufflehead Cove ( an inn) in Kennebunkport and loved it. It's away from the main drag, and it's on a river. We stayed @ Five Gables Inn 1st @ Boothbay Harbor, the best choices we have ever made!