What to do in Portland Maine.......

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Portland Maine.......

I will be spending 4 days in the Portland Maine area visiting my 18 year old son. Any ideas on what to do, where to go, etc,
Maybe some kayaking?
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Be sure to visit Two Lights Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth for a casual seafood meal.......and be sure to visit the Sebago Lakes Region.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tracy, any Kayaking in the Portland area???
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:24 AM

http://outdoors.mainetoday.com/kayak...areas2001.html
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:33 AM

You have to see the Portland Headlight. It might just be the most photographed lighthouse in America, or at least it seems to show up on the cover of the most calendars.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:36 AM

If you have a car, Freeport is not that far away. It is a nice little outlet village (and home of LL Bean!).
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:42 AM

There is the Old Port to walk around with and if y ou have a car you can drive around to the City Market and have lunch... Oh yes.. Freeport, but I find it overpriced. and very yuppy compared to Kittery
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 09:14 AM

One of the best things and cheap too is to ride the state ferries. many people in Portland live on islands and commute by ferry. The trips (multiple routes) are scenic and inexpensive. Fascinating to see people come down to the boat to pick up a load of, for instance, storm windows. In the summer, you can ride all the way to Bailey's Island, have anice lobster lunch and return.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:33 PM
jd

Walk around Old Port. It is full of interesting shops and restaurants. Also, the harbor cruise if fun, and you will get great views of the lighthouse. If you want to take a drive, go to Ogunquit, and walk the Marginal Way-it is so scenic, and ends at Perkins Cove, which has more nice shops and restaurants.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:08 AM

More information would be helpful. What time of year will you be here? Where are you staying? Will you have a vehicle? Other than Kayaking, what do you enjoy doing?
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 05:24 PM

If you're around Portland and venturing out for day trips, you can take the Casco Bay Ferry to Peaks Island and rent Kayaks or take a Kayak tour. You can also rent bikes and take the Ferry to some of the other Islands on the Ferry route. Easy and fun to ride bikes on the roads on the islands, and it's a way to see Maine from the water and some of the islands - even if you don't get off.

Another great day trip (which we've done in a day driving from 45 mins south of Portland) is drive to Boothbay Harbor and take the Ferry to Monhegan Island. This is great day of hiking - very beautiful. http://balmydayscruises.com/islandtrip.html

You can also go on short Kayak trips provided by LLBean in Freeport.

Approximatly 2 hours from Portland is Camden / Rockland - pretty harbors and quaint. You can hike up Mt Battie - beautiful views. The probably have kayaking tour companies as well.

You are too far to drive to Bar Harbor without staying at least a couple of nights - but if able, this is a great place to kayak, hike and bike in Acadia National Park. You can take a Whale watching trip as well.

You can take a whale watching boat out from Kennebunkport - and just walk around the town and have lunch/dinner while you're there also.

You can drive to Wells / Ogunquit to walk on the beach or walk the maginal way. Browse the town of Ogunquit while you're there.

Moosehead lake is again a place where you will need to spend at least one night, but a wonderful place to kayak. In addition hiking up Keneo Mountain is a great a time as well.

You can drive to the White Mountains in about 1 1/2 hours - hiking and biking.

Walking around the Old Port in Portland is fun too.

I could keep going but I want. Let me know if you have any questions about any of the places I've mentioned. Or provice more details about what you like to do and the time of year you're coming.