Portland

Jul 30th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Portland

We will be staying in the South Portland area for about a week later this month (August). We'd appreciate restaurant suggestions--no chains please-we have them all in FLorida and we'd likethe real local flavor. Any suggestions about navigating Portland would be appreciated as well.
Everett
Jul 30th, 2006, 07:00 PM
mms

Are you looking for places in downtown Portland, or south of the city?

As far as navigating around Portland, it is pretty easy. Downtown has a lot of one way streets, but it is pretty standard and easy to get around.
Jul 30th, 2006, 07:27 PM

Well, most of the feedback here is about Portland, Oregon. Ask me again in a couple of weeks when I return from a visit to Portland, Maine. In the meantime...trip advisor?

My friend will be having her "rehersal dinner" before her wedding (a very casual gathering actually) at Ri Ra, right down by the Old Port: www.rira.com .

Andrew
Jul 30th, 2006, 07:53 PM

In Portland we like Mims Brasserie - for breakfast!
They have delicious food, casual atmosphere, don't rush you -

you could also do a search here for restaurants in portland, maine -and just under 'portland, maine' i think there were a few threads not long ago -
also check out visitportland.com

walking up and down the streets of portland, from the water inland, there are many shops, galleries and restaurants to choose from for dinner -
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:22 AM

What do you like to eat and what price range? Portland has excellent restaurants.
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your posts. OF course seafood and lobster are high on our list. We have a car so we are not limited to the city and will be staying near Scarborough. We are looking for a comfortable restaurant--not too pricy--something in the $15-$25 range for an entree. Is Portland safe for just wandering around? What are the tourist traps? We camped in the Wells area years ago and would like to visit there.
Thanks again
Everett
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:15 AM

The Old Port area is very safe. Use precautions as you would with any city. There are a ton of restaurants there. The number one tourist trap is Dimillo's. If you want to experience the ambiance of a 'floating restaurant', go and have a drink but eat elsewhere. For an inexpensive lobster dinner, go next door to J's Oyster bar (also, the grilled haddock sandwich is the best there is). It's a locals' hangout so don't go if you're looking for white table cloth dining. For that you could try the Old Port Sea Grill, Fore Street Grill or Street & Co. For more casual dining, you might try the Dry Dock (great soups & sandwiches), Ri Ra (Irish Pub) or Three Dollar Dewey's (tons of micro-brews and good pub grub).
Portland can be confusing with the number of one way streets. If you're staying in, or around, Scarborough, take either route 1 north or 295. Look for signs that say Commercial St., Waterfront or International Ferry terminal. Park on Commercial St. (metered with I think a 2 hour limit) or in one of the many parking garages - you can also park in Dimillo's, wander around the Old Port at your leisure, return to Dimillo's for a drink and get your parking ticket stamped so you can park for free - otherwise it's $5/hour to park there.
Aug 1st, 2006, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you peagood. That is exactly the kind of info I had hoped to find.
Everett