hotels near Reed College/Portland area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be taking my daughter to Reed College and need to find a hotel near the college, or reasonable driving distance to it. The Doubletree was recommended, but all booked. Any suggestions? I don't know the areas around there. I think I might end up staying by the airport....
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:23 AM

I am not familiar with the area around the college but try calling POVA - (Portland Oregon Visitors Assc) and see if they can help you- I almost always make my hotel reservations through them and you will also receive coupons for 20 % off dinner at several restaurants in Portland if you book through them .

Phone 1- 877-678-6263
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:37 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Any downtown hotel will be more convenient to Reed than the airport. Reed's not in an area with a lot of hotels around.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:40 AM

Reed is in inner SE Portland, in a mostly residential area, so aside from a few motels, I wouldn't expect you'd find much nearby. I'm not sure which Doubletree was recommended, but both are closer to downtown than to Reed.

Take sunbum's suggestion, call POVA, and ask for a hotel in the center of the city. Places like 5th Ave. Suites, Heathman, Benson, Vintage Plaza, Lucia are the usual suspects. Do yourself a favor and don't stay at the airport.

In any case, you will need a car.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions. I will call POVA. I was told around the Lloyd Center was close, but also told lots of homeless people hanging around there. Also the Clackamas area not too far from campus, not familiar with that. Why is downtown better then airport, will it be easy enough to drive back and forth to the campus?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:48 AM

I stayed at the Doubletree LLoyd Center a couple of weekends ago and not a vagrant type person to be seen - its a good area to be in.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:55 AM

Downtown is better than the airport because out at the airport you don't have the stores, shops, restaurants, things to do and see that you would have if you stayed in town.
The airport is about a half hour drive to town., I agree, stay at or around the 5th Avenue Suites.
You can also use www.pova.com for information.
The Lloyd Center is a huge mall with a movie theatre and some fast food places around it.
Check and see if Max will take you to the college, leaving the car behind..much easier , in my opinion, than driving back and forth and it is a nice clean train ride.
http://www.trimet.org/max/index.htm
If you put Reed College in, you will see that there are stops.
Good luck!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:25 AM

Scarlett got it right. Downtown is better than the airport for all those reasons. AND, it's closer to Reed. Doubletree Lloyd Center is just across the river from downtown, so you may as well BE downtown.

Unfortunately, Scarlett's a little ahead of local government with the MAX recommendation. We've got lines running east/west through the city, and a couple going north, but nothing south..... Yet. For now, the only mass transit serving the college is the bus.

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

I checked with POVA, and all I could find for the 4 days I am staying is:
LA QUINTA INN by the convention center. Know anything about this place? I want safe and clean. Nothing available downtown.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Original Poster

I have never used Priceline, would that be worth a try for the 4 nights I am having no luck in rooms except for the airport area or La Quinta? Any idea what hotels they use?
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 04:44 AM

Try BiddingForTravel.com to see what hotels Priceline uses in Portland. Go to the Portland hotels section - great stuff. Read their FAQ to learn how to bid and use Priceline. It takes some time but well worth it.

It's slightly easier to get to Reed driving from the Lloyd Center/Convention Center area (both east of the river) than from downtown. However, if you stay downtown you can take the #19 Woodstock bus right to the college. Yes, Portland has some homeless people (downtown especially), but they are generally harmless.

Priceline's 3* "downtown" zone also includes the Lloyd Center area (which isn't really "downtown"), and the Doubletree as well as the Holiday Inn nearby have come up as 3* hotels there on Priceline. So have the Hilton and a few others downtown. That's the thing with Priceline: you are never sure exactly where you will be, but it will be one of only a few hotels. I wouldn't expect to pay more than $60 for a 3* hotel in Portland but most of the hotels (except for the Holiday Inn) charge $10-$20/night for parking.

Andrew
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:49 AM

I have stayed at that LaQuinta - it was being remodeled and it was OK- not great- but I felt safe and saw no suspicious looking people around
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 08:14 AM

Amazing that all the hotels are filled in Portland - but I've had that happen to me before also.
Heres an idea - it looks to me like the Edgefield in Troutdale is not too far and if you are staying for 4 days it would be fun. There are a couple of nice restaurants, a movie theatre, beautiful grounds, a winery and a brew pub - it used to be a "poor farm" and a nursing home and now a fun hotel with artists paintings all over the walls, doors and about anywhere they could paint.
There is an outlet mall close by if you wanted to shop or it would be an easy drive up the Columbia River Gorge some evening.
http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc=3

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 08:39 PM

The Edgefield is a neat place, but it's a long drive from Troutdale out to SE Portland to Reed College if the plan is to go back and forth every day during the trip. I'd just stay somewhere near Lloyd Center as previously recommended or downtown. The La Quinta is in the Convention Center/Lloyd Center area and in a dull but safe area. I've walkted by the hotel many times but never been inside.

Andrew
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:02 PM

My neice attended and teaches at Reed, at my daughter attended nearby Lewis & Clark College.

There are no hotels in the immediate area, as it is very residential.
Both these schools tend to recommend the hotels south of their schools or out east in Clackamas. Not sure why; as they tend to be big motels on the Freeways.

Stay in Downtown. It is not a long drive to Reed (about 10 minutes, maybe 15)and you will get to enjoy the "Portland" experience.

You definitely do not want to stay out at the Airport. Boring! and you'll hit all sorts of traffic. At least the hotels south of the school (on I-5 exits 290 or so) will be near the big discount shopping places. Bed, Bath & Beyond, Borders, office Depot that you will use to furnish a dorm room.

POVA.com is the way to book a hotel in Portland, and even though the prices will not be as cheap at first glance compared to Priceline, you will get to choose the specific hotel, your reservation is cancellable and it will include parking and breakfast. They give nice descriptions of the hotels as well.

YOu can't go wrong if you choose Downtown on Priceline either, as long as you factor in the additional $25 or so for parking, and also breakfast.

The area around Lloyd center is not bad, and is a tiny bit closer to Reed, but I would still choose downtown.

Good luck and have fun. Portland is a wonderful, small city. Is your daughter starting at Reed or just veiwing? Its a wonderful school!
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:26 PM

ps- the areas south would be called Lake Oswego or Tualitin, in case you just can't get anything downtown.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Lucy,
My daughter will be a freshman at Reed. I can't seem to get 4 days at any hotel in downtown Portland. I need the 21-25 of August. I would need to split it between hotels. Maybe I will try south as you suggested. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 02:31 AM

Crowne Plaza is the one on I-5 at exit 292 (Kreuse Road). I know several L&C parents who were very happy there.

On pova.com they're showing it as available for your nights at $109 per night.

I also see Days Inn on SW 6th at $89, $99, and $109 per night or 5th AVe Suites (my absolute favorite) at $179.

There are so many colleges in Portland, and it seems all except Portland State have their freshman orientations the same time.

Congrats to your DD. Remind her she doesn't HAVE to dye her hair green and lie topless on the front lawn, even though it seems the thing to do! My niece (who did those things) still laughs about how hard Reedies try to act like vagrants when in reality they are all such smart kids.

She just loved Reed, and it was the reason she came back to work there after graduate school. She especially enjoyed the freshman reading seminar. Made all her best friends there.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 04:14 AM

I wouldn't recommend the Day's Inn if you can avoid it; last experience I had with it (a few years ago now I admit) was that it was an average hotel, far from the best you could find in the area. Read the TripAdvisor review before booking there.

Crown Plaza in Lake Oswego would be easy to get to from the freeway (no city driving) and isn't horribly far away but is not in the most exciting area, although you might enjoy the trendy new Bridgeport Village outdoor mall nearby and the shopping in downtown Lake Oswego. I'd still recommend downtown or Lloyd Center/Downtown, however.

There is a Holiday Inn Express and a Silver Cloud at the outskirts of NW Portland, both of which are close to downtown Portland and NW Portland and good access to I-405. If you can't find four days at the other hotels you could consider these two.

Andrew
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 06:18 AM

There are several hotels right there at Kruse Way/I-5. Several restaurants, and a Trader Joe's...all within a block or so of each other.

In Tualatin (only about 5 minutes from the Kruse Way hotel) is the Century Hotel. Again, easy freeway access.

If you are deciding between these two areas, my first choice would be the Kruse Way area, just because there is more around it. But both are very close to the freeway, and to Bridgeport Village which is a great place to shop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -