Search

ODD MAUI ????

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 08:57 AM
dan

ODD MAUI ????

I am planning a week on Maui and am looking at various condos.

My ? is about elevators in the condos.

Being claustrophobic I dread spending a week at a condo with old, slow, small elevators. I don't mind newer elevators that are quick and have windows or are big.
This may seem a bit strange but I really don't want to spend an entire week in a condo with an constant uneasy feeling.

Could anyone tell me about these condos and their elevators?

Mahana
Papakea

I'm not yet sold on these condos so if there are any condos you know of that really have a claustrophics nightmare elevator please tell me which ones.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Lani

Most of the condos that I've seen in Hawaii are like apartments, with steps. You don't have to worry about elevators.............there's couple in Kaanapali, like The Whaler or The Kaanapali Shores, with elevators ..........but most spread-out or smaller complexes are just like apartments. I'll try to do some checking for you as I have a zillion travel guides/books.........for the two that you mention.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Lani

Okay, the Mahana is several stories, and I'd forget about that one. You could call and ask but it doesn't look like a property with windowed elevators.

Papakea is a different story - it's spread out, and only four stories so you could ask for a first or second floor condo, and not have anything to worry about but steps!

When you have condos you'd like to check out, go to google.com, and type in the name of the condo, then Maui, and you'll probably get several very detailed sites on them, including a phone number that you can call to ask about the elevator situation.

No, I don't think you're odd, asking this question. There's lot of claustrophobic people in this world!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 09:53 AM
xxx

I think it is VERY odd that a person would ask others to find out this information for him !! It is very easy to find out by contacting the condo management.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 10:09 AM
jean

We stayed at the Papakea last December for a week. I think we were on the second floor. The only time we used the elevator was when we toting luggage at the beginning and the end of our stay. We stayed in a unit way in the back, we could still see the ocean from our balcony, but it was a ways. But, we were overlooking their lovely koi pond. We found it very pleasant. The grounds are lovely. Two pools, two hot tubs, both nicely landscaped. Met some nice people. Also lots of people used the gas grills that were set up fairly close to the pool. Not much for beach, though, if that's important to you. Short drive to Kaanapali though. In fact we actually walked on beach all the way to Kaanapali one morning. Wouldn't recommend it.

Jean

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 10:13 AM
dan

xxx sorry i offended your value system. Its a big world with lots of people and lots of ways we all try to gain knowledge/understanding/answers to our questions.
By no means would I ever ask someone on this site to do "research" for me. This is my method of research, to ask those who have experience and have been there.
I feel for those who live in contact with you on a daily basis. You prove how touchy you are for anger to be set off with something that really doesn't apply to you. Strangers helping strangers is what the site is about. Everyone on this site could scream at EVERY question asked, "HEY DO THE RESEARCH BUDDY".
xxx why are you on this site if not to help answer others ? or seek answers to your ????

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Lori

The Mahana is two 12 story bldgs. - I've stayed there many times. You could request a unit on the first or second floors to avoid elevators. Papeakea is a series of 2 story bldgs.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Lani

The Papakea websites show four stories there, Lori, and there's more than two buildings for sure!!! Maybe you're thinking of a different condo, OR just one section of Papakea?

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Lani

Sorry, Lori, on the number of buildings.....I thought you'd said there were two buildings.....wrong of me! But there are four stories to all the buildings I can see!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 10:52 AM
bob

dan, we stayed at a condo complex called puamana in Lahaina. It was a one floor unit on the ocean. Very nice! Look on the internet for more info!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 11:03 AM
dan

Thanks to all for the information of your past experiences or knowledge of these places.
I am particularly interested to hear from Lori about what the elevators were like at the Mahana.
I don't have to have a windowed elevator but I am wondering whether or not they have elevators that fit an avg of 10 people or one that fits about 5, is the elevator one that you could read a book by the time you arrive on your floor or one that moves quickly? I can deal with elevators to a degree but if I'm constantly going up and down these things for one week it would just be an undesirable stresser if it were real small, creaky, slow elevators.
Thanks for the replies which save me $$$ in calling long distance and your answers would be probably be more honest than the desk clerk trying to sell me on his/her hotel.
I'm going to Paris in a couple months and am booked in an expensive hotel with about 30 floors. I didn't hesitate on booking b/c modern elevators don't bother me as much.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Rex

Dan, you say you're interested in the Lori's comments about the Mahana..........with all the condos in Hawaii with no elevators, if they bother you that much, why choose a condo WITH one? There's tons of others!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 11:17 AM
dan

Rex simply because I have found a great deal @ the Mahana and liked what I have read about the place.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 11:21 AM
dan

not sold on the Mahana just leaning toward that place.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 11:51 AM
dejahma

Aloha;

We stayed at the Mahana last Jan. The elevators are not really small, fit about 5-6 people. They did not seem slow to me at all but it was not too busy. Are renting a specific unit? When we checked in they asked our preference 1st floor, intermediate or high level. But again it was not very busy. Are you staying in a one bedroom or a studio. The studio at the Mahana was amoung the smallest we have ever stayed in. That made me feel claustrophobic.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 11:53 AM
dan

looking at a 1 bedroom and I have no specific room set yet.