Need Accommodations for LARGE group on Maui!

Old May 21st, 2002, 06:36 AM
Leslie

Need Accommodations for LARGE group on Maui!

There will be seven adults (3 couples and a single) and three girls aged 4-12. I've searched and searched for 5 br houses, but can't find any in our price range for what we're looking for. Specifically, a pool and close to beach.
So, looks like we may have to get a 3BR and 2BR condo for our group. Anyone have reccomendations for nice, smaller properties that would have these two condos close to each other? Thanks in advance!

Old May 21st, 2002, 09:48 AM
topper

ttt

Old May 21st, 2002, 12:11 PM
rr

We went to Maui in January 2001 with a group of 8 adults and 8 children between 8 mos - 8 years. We stayed at the Wailea Elua condos. They have 1, 2 and 3 bedroom condos. They are on a great beach in a quiet location - water has a strong undertow but I think that is normal in Maui. It is a fairly large complex but not too large to walk between condo's. However, only downside is that it is on a steep incline so if you could request condo's near the beach that would be better. We were at the top and there was a good hike down to the beach and back up again - although you could drive down the hill in the complex if you have a car. There is parking at the near the beach and pool. These may be a little pricey - not sure what price range you are looking for. You can check them out by visiting www.drhmaui.com. Otherwise, I've been checking for my parents who are going in November 2002 and there are alot of very reasonable condos in the Kaanapali area of Maui. They are much cheaper than where we stayed in Wailea and they are closer to Lahaina which is a fun area with restaurants and shops. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:45 AM
Leslie

Thanks, rr. Yes, this helps alot. I'll concentrate my search in the Kaanapali area, as my father-in-law, who want's to pay for the condo, is a tiny bit frugal. Mind you, I'm not complaining, but it's difficult to find a suitable place for them with the 'luxury' he expects, but at a 'cheap' price!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:51 AM
chris

Leslie:
I've stayed at the Lokelani on several occasions with large groups. This is a little older property and has a small pool but the price is usually very good (used to be less than $100 for a one bedroom and around $115 for a 2 bedroom with around 350 square feet). The strong upside is that these units are literally 40 feet from the oceand with unbelievable views and all units have lanais. These properties are between Lahaina/ Kaanapaali and Kapulua on a Lower Haanapaliana Highway (a small road in actuality).

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:20 PM
Maggi

Have you checked out these houses?
Olowalu Beach Villa sleeps 10 with hot tub:
http://hawaiisbestrentals.com/detail.lasso?SKU=197
Hale Lea sleep 10 with pool:
http://hawaiisbestrentals.com/detail.lasso?SKU=116
At about 700/night for 10 people this is possibly cheaper than renting a condo. I look forward to renting one of these with a group of my friends in the near future. It should be a blast!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 03:31 PM
tembody

Try the Napili Sunset. Great area and lovely stretch of beach. website:www.napilisunset.com

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:47 AM
Leslie

Thanks to everyone who posted. I will check out Wailea Elua again. I thought I had read on the web site that they only have 1 and 2BR condos. We'd be needing a 3BR in hopes that the living area in a 3BR would be large enough to accommodate the entire family for happy hours/dinners. I'll look again. I'm not sure I've seen the Lokelani so I'll search that too. The problem with the Olowalu Beach Villa is although it sleeps 10, it's only got 3 bedrooms. This will not do! We need at least a 4BR with a den. We don't want anyone to have to sleep on a sofa sleeper in the living room, as they would be disturbed by anyone getting up early to make coffee/breakfast, not to mention the fact that who ever had to sleep there would have to wait until everyone cleared out of their 'bedroom' in the evenings before they could go to sleep!
Hale Lea looks FABULOUS, but alas, I don't think he'd want to spend that much. (it would cost apx $5,800 for the week when adding taxes and outclean fees.)
Perhaps we can talk my father-in-law into letting everyone pitch in (assuming they are all willing) but he really wanted to do this as a gift to all of us. I'D certainly be willing to pitch in to stay in that house, but my father-in-law is not only a tiny bit frugal, but also may have too much pride to accept anyone helping when he's already told the family 'he's taking us all to Hawaii'.
As it is though, he's going to be spending more than he wanted unless he get's a 'dump' which I'm sure he would hate! I don't think I've seen the web site that the Olowalu House is advertised on, although I don't know HOW I could have missed it will all the searching I've done, so you have helped me. Thanks!