Maui Condo Advice Please

Search

Maui Condo Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2009, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui Condo Advice Please

My husband, sons (ages 15 and 10) and I are planning a trip to Maui this summer late June through early July. We'd like to try for an oceanfront condo with a lanai, with at least two bedrooms & two bathrooms. I notice a lot of Fodor's travelers have talked about staying in a condo on Maui. Any favortie condos, suggestions, advice please? Thank you!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 08:19 AM

Ordinarily I would say you are too late for the better condos, but this year may be an exception because of the economy. We are going next February and rented direct with the owner at vrbo.com at Kalieahola. Obviously I don't have any recommendations yet. If you do go that route, after you get all the preliminary information, I would suggest you talk with the people instead of just emailing. If ocean front is what you want, make sure it isn't ocean view - big difference. You can also find out what the place looks like and some recommendations on wizardpub.com. This will give you a better feel for the area.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 11:38 AM

Yes, see the aerial photos on wizardpub.com for sure.

The Mahana (north of Kaanapali) has 2/2 but the beach in front isn't the best. Some others in the area are oceanfront bit just rocks, little or no sand. Kihei has beachfront but usually on the other side of the street.

One suggestion, check out timeshare rentals, lots of them this year, see www.redweek.com or www.tug2.net You can probably rent direct from Marriott Kaanapali, as an example, as well.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 09:56 AM

We stayed here in 2005 and loved it. No beach but you can walk to one that is very small. www.noelani-condo-resort.com
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 11:01 AM

What is your budget?

My favorite condo on Maui is the Makena Surf. They start at around $600 a night, however.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Good question about the budget. Thank you! I'll bet the Makena Surf is wonderful, but our budget goes up to only $350 to $400 a night. Thank you all for your great suggestions thus far. This is our first trip to Hawaii and we are very excited.!
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 11:11 AM

We have rented 2 units at Kihei Surfside. I think the complex will fall within your price range. All of the units are different depending upon who manages them. Unit 614, a 2BR, is particularly beautiful, but the price ranges wildley from $295-$500. You might want to see if its within your budget during your stay.

http://book.maui-vacation-rentals.co...8/default.aspx

And do check out the aerial views on Wizardpub.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 11:15 AM

We've been going to Maui for many years and stay at Kihei Surfside. We really enjoy this place because the condo location is rather private. The grounds are beautiful kept with a rather large piece of property that sits on State protected land so the place will have no development on the right side of the building.

There is a barbecue area and picnic tables near the pool that is available for guests. The location has unobstructed ocean view from the grounds/pool area/oceanfront condos. There is a large area of the grounds that is good for families who want to toss a football or play frisbee.

The Mani Kai Maui Resort hotel is on the left side of the property which has a great deli store and their restaurant "Five Palms" is quite good. We have stayed a few times at the Mani Kai in their condo units when we weren't able to get into Kihei Surfside.

There is a lovely three mile walk along beaches and the Wailea resorts which is quite nice to enjoy the area.

http://www.crhmaui.com/maui-condo-surfside

We've been to all the islands in Hawaii and Maui is our favorite. Have a wonderful time in paradise.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 11:25 AM

Take a look at Hale Pau Hana. I believe they have two bed/two bath units in the Tower and they are right on the beach.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 04:58 PM

As a long time resident of Maui there are several condos in Kihei that are very reasonable, close to local transport and some will give you a condo/car package. We recommend Luana Kai. It is beautiful with large grounds, pool, bbq, etc.

Also there are many private owners in Maalaea Harbor with ocean front beautiful condos that are really reasonable. The harbor is a great place, centrally located, close to aquarium, boating, etc. Probably Google condos, Maui, and many advertise. I have a friend who owns 3 condos, all at the water. Feel free to write to me if you wish.
[email protected]

Remember, if you book on the west side, Lahaina, Kaanapali, Napili, etc., those are VERY far from most things like the volcano, airport, rainforest, etc., and that would mean over an hour additional drive time to anywhere you want to go. The island may look small, but it isn't, and we do have traffic issues aplenty!

For fun reading also check my blog on all marine animals.

http://mauisnorkelingtrips.com
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:24 AM

Unfortunately, Hale Pau Hana only has one tier in their tower that has 2 bedroom units. There are 3 in the rental pool, and 2 of those don't take children. I've never been successful trying to reserve a 2B/2B there. I have stayed twice at Kamaole Nalu, right next door. A couple years ago our family rented 3 units, and all of us had kids. We loved the oceanfront location with easy access to both Kam I and Kam II beaches. Also, all units have washer/dryer combos which is a big plus traveling with kids. These are not the most luxurious units in So. Kihei, so look carefully at the unit photos to get one that looks comfortable, with a bit of updating: www.kamaolenalu.com

That said, I agree with ReefAnnie's suggestion of checking out Maalaea. That's where I've stayed my last two Maui trips, and where I intend to stay in the future. Lower prices and a convenient central location make it a good
choice for economical lodging. I also like the fact that there is very little traffic; it's a short dead-end road with just a handful of condo buildings. Although all of the complexes are oceanfront and have pools, not all have a sand beach. There is a nice little beach park at the end of the road, however. My favorite complex is Kanai A Nalu. All are 2B/2B units with washer dryer. Large lawn area, pleasant pool, and scads of lawn chairs. The beach starts in front of this complex, so there is a bit of sand for the kids to dig in and it's just a very short walk to better swimming at the little park. There are a few on-island agencies that specialize in Maalaea rentals. I've used two of them, and by far prefer this one: www.maalaeabay.com. Nice photos and virtual tours of all units at all properties.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 02:12 PM

I highly recommend the Maui Eldorado. Go through VRBO; there are several listings for what you are looking for. You'll get the most bang for your buck imho.

Rex