Oahu-Maui trip questions

Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu-Maui trip questions

Hi All - used this forum for tips last month when we booked a trip via Costco travel for Ohau/Maui - early April - 4 nights on each island - staying at prince waikiki and then at the Napili Kai on Maui. i have to say the costco agents that have worked with us have been great to work with especially if you compare them to other web based services (won't name names)
this is our first time (not sure if we will get back) we are early to mid 60's - so wanted to know any 'can't miss' items or excursions anyone would recommend? we have a car everyday both islands so am thinking lots of things we can just do ourselves but wondering if anything we should make sure we do.....we have seen lots of tips on websites but wondered if there are any good 'Fodor forum tips' that would be helpful.....we are moderately active so do plan to bring our own snorkel masks but we can't hike like maniacs so have to limit hikes a bit.

i see there are tours for everything but i am thinking for something like pearl harbor just buy the $1 ticket and go yourself but wanted opinions?.....i am hoping covid restrictions are relaxing but we will be uploading our vax records, etc

so any random type of excursions, any great restaurants or hidden jems, anything to avoid.?.......all recommendations are greatly appreciated...thx
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 03:25 PM

In Maui I always do a whale watching boat trip and usually go with the Pacific Whale Foundation. We have been lucky and seen some fabulous whale activity. I don't know how active whales will be in April but I would do it anyway. I always do a snorkel trip too. Love being out on the water. In Lahaina we also enjoyed a luau- For the rest of Maui, we did our own thing.

On Oahu I enjoyed the outrigger canoe rides. I lived in Honolulu in the 60's, so most things we did on our own. Enjoy.
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 07:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My favorite things to do in Waikiki/Honolulu besides going to the beach and sunning at the pool have been: Iolani Palace, Foster Botanical Garden, Chinatown, ShangriLa Estate Tour, Honolulu Art Museum, Royal Hawaiian Band, seeing performances of Hawaiian music and dance. Things I haven't gotten to yet: Bishop Museum, Mission Houses, Queen Emma's Summer Palace. climb DiamondHead, KCC Farmers Market.

My favorites on Maui were Old Lahaina Luau and going up Haleakala.
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 06:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
For Maui - hands down our favorite restaurant last time we were there in 2019 was Merriman's. I think that is very close to where you are staying. We were in Kapalua. Also, in the past we've done a whale watching tour (we were there late March-early April and only saw a mother and baby whale but it was still a lot of fun), a helicopter tour (which was amazing), a sunset cruise (left from Lahaina), and an atv tour with Maui Off-Road Adventures (which was also very fun). I'd recommend any of them.

Can't really recommend much in Waikiki because we've only really walked around, lounged on the beach and went out at night the times we've been there. If you want a romantic dinner, I'd recommend La Mer at the Halekulani. The setting, service and food were excellent.
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 05:48 PM

Hau Tree Lanai (restaurant at Kaimana hotel formerly New Otani) has a fantastic true beach setting. The Arancino restaurants have excellent Italian food. Hy's Steakhouse is an old-school classic, often with live music in the bar section.

But truthfully for me in Waikik I more often grab meals from casual places - food courts, farmers markets, Steak Shack, Barefoot Beach Cafe, plate lunch, noodles, etc.
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 06:22 PM

Agree with Merrimans. We did not eat dinner but had a nice happy hour. Beautiful setting, sometimes breaching whales.
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 06:48 PM

I've heard raves about Mama's Fish House on Maui. Yesterday (2 22 22) my niece & nephew ate there to celebrate their anniversary. Their bill was $222.00 w/o gratuity (!!!) and they do not drink alcohol or desserts! They said it was fabulous.
Old Feb 24th, 2022, 09:40 AM

We had a fabulous dinner at Pacific’O in Lahaina in August. That and Lahaina Grill are the best we’ve ever eaten at on Maui for food alone. There are loads of good restaurants but those were both excellent.
Old Feb 24th, 2022, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by sf7307 View Post
We had a fabulous dinner at Pacific’O in Lahaina in August. That and Lahaina Grill are the best we’ve ever eaten at on Maui for food alone. There are loads of good restaurants but those were both excellent.
We ate at Lahaina Grill on a previous trip several years ago and we also thought it was excellent.
Old Feb 24th, 2022, 04:27 PM

Ho'omaluhia Botanical Garden (https://www.honolulu.gov/parks/hbg.html?id=569:ho) is a nice place.

And of course, the Byodo-In Temple. If you can't get at least ONE good photo there, you shouldn't own a camera.

Both on Oahu.
Old Feb 28th, 2022, 08:07 PM

Having not had any visitors in the last two years, I had to stop and think about our favorite sites when someone recently asked, so here they are:

Cultural: (Reservations recommended)
Iolani Palace. https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Bishop Museum: https://www.bishopmuseum.org/ht22/
Manoa Heritage Center https://www.manoaheritagecenter.org
Doris Dukes home, Shangri-la https://www.shangrilahawaii.org
Botanical gardens:
Foster Gardens
Lyon Arboretum (and might as well hike up to Manoa Falls next door)
Hoomaluhia
Old Mar 1st, 2022, 09:03 AM

mahalo lcuy
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 10:21 AM

'If you can't get at least ONE good photo there, you shouldn't own a camera.'
Good one Propita!
Apparently, Mick Fleetwood owns a faux-Moroccan restaurant-club in Lahaina. Reviewers seemed to have had a good time. Live music, of course.
Maui's remote Thompson Road in the Upcountry offers a cooler, rural stroll reminiscent of Ireland.
Hope all goes well OP JP!
I am done. The end.
Old Apr 14th, 2022, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Trip Report - Oahu-Maui - April 2022

Hi All, posting this trip report here sorry if this is not the right place but fodors is confusing to me. Still waiting to fly back home later today but wanted to get this posted since i have some time. thanks to all for the advice pre-booking. We are 65 and 62 with some back and hip issues but were able to have a blast as long as we packed plenty of advil.

Oahu – very crowded with traffic but stayed on the edge of Waikiki at the Prince Waikiki so we weren’t in the heart of the super congested traffic area but it was still busy, very glad we had a car and used their valet service multiple times each day – highly recommend this hotel – there is not a beach right there but you can walk to one in 10 minutes, we were on the move so didn’t need a beach here but we did hit the beaches on the north shore and the southeast near Lanai Lookout, however at the Prince Waikiki the room and the staff and the amenities were top notch, we paid for an upgraded oceanfront room on the 24th floor, in our 4 nights/5 days we had a blast and enjoyed hiking Diamond head, lunch plates at the rainbow grill, malasadas at Leonard’s bakery, Lanai lookout, USS Arizona memorial, Merriman’s, Lucky Belly, Chart House, the North Shore. The Chart House and the Pub are right down the street from the hotel and very good with water views and not overly expensive. (for Hawaii)

Maui – different vibe and obviously you need a car – more tropical and this resort had a real feel of Hawaii. We stayed at the Napili Kai resort in the Ka’anapali section of Maui near Kapalua golf course. Napili kai is right on the water with ‘old school’ type of laid back 2 story buildings – older bathroom plumbing, some things need an upgrade but its still very nice with great water views and all really nice staff and free coffee in the lobby plus a laundry room which is cool after a few days to have access to. We highly recommend this place also. While there we moved around but took time to chill a bit, we enjoyed Ultimate Whale watching, Haleakala crater peak, Road to Hana, Cool Cats, Mala Tavern, Joey’s Kitchen and more. Great trip and a great deal (we think) from Costco travel. Road to Hana was a nightmare with construction crew delays so we wisely turned around before Keanae Lookout after sitting in traffic 4 times, these are the little things not even the hotel knows about but live and learn….the drive to the crater peak on previous day was long but no traffic and well worth the trip. If you want any more info just let me know, i will post individual restaurant and excursion reviews on Open Table, Yelp & TripAdvisor....Aloha.

Last edited by jp4120; Apr 14th, 2022 at 01:17 PM. Reason: typos
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 09:46 AM

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself.
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the trip report! So nice when people come back and let us know how things turned out. Mahalo.
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 10:38 AM

Thanks for posting. Sounds like a fun trip!