Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

For next month's trip: Maui, Kauai, and Oahu....or just Maui and Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are headed to Hawaii for our 3rd summer in a row next month. 2 years ago, we did Oahu, Maui, and BI and last summer, we did Oahu and BI.

This summer, we have 14 nights, and will definitely be on Maui for 7 of them at the Sheraton. Should we do the remaining 7 on Kauai (where we have never been), or split it 5 on Kauai and 2 on Oahu? We have to fly out of Oahu anyways, as there were no FF miles tickets available out of Kauai.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Since you've never been to Kauai, I would recommend spending the full week there...since you haven't seen anything there yet, you'll prbably want to see as much as possible!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 01:20 PM

Have to agree with karameli, definitely do go to Kauai, the whole week. My wife and I did 1 week each, last year, and probably we will do the same two, next time. The rest of the islands are great, but these are our 2 favorites, for a number of reasons, and its a good plan you have, to find out what YOU think of Kauai, first-hand! There is lots to keep you occupied for the full week, I think. (And less time wasted switching hotels, cars, etc.)
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 01:24 PM

Oh I am sooo jealous! And agree with the previous posters. Stay in Kauai all 7 days - I wish I had done that on my last trip!! Have fun!!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 02:09 PM

I really think that your idea of 7/5/2 would certainly be fine but if you have already been to Oahu, you could skip it this time and focus on the other two islands with 7/7.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 03:20 PM

If you're asking if there is plenty to do if you allocate a week in Kauai, there definitely is. I haven't been to BI for more than a day and haven't been to the other islands, so I can't offer further advice.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great responses, everyone!

I think we are going to skip Oahu this time around and just do Maui and Kauai. Especially since it will be our 1st trip to that particular island.

I promise a trip report when we return!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 04:41 PM
trippinkpj

Beachgirl, you will love it. The hubby and I took our most favorite vacation to date, ten years ago to Maui and Kaui (7 nights on each island). Fantastic, and I want to do that trip again someday.