Kauai vs. Maui

Old Feb 5th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai vs. Maui

We are going to Hawaii for 10 days. Spending six on the Big Island and four in Maui. We visited Maui three years ago and stayed at the Four Seasons and loved it that's why we're going back. Now I'm thinking we should have gone to Kauai instead. Any opinions on Kauai?

Also, is it possible to do a day trip to Kauai from the BI and enjoy it?
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 10:02 AM

Day trip from BI to Kauai - don't do it. There are no non-stop flights, so you have to stop in Honolulu, which makes it close to a 2 hour flight one way. You would spend half the day in planes or airports, and wouldn't have time for more than a quick road trip.

I highly recommend an extended stay on Kauai, though, if you've already been to Maui. I think it's the most beautiful of the islands.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 10:27 AM

Kauaiis definitely worth checking out if you have never been there, and especially if you like Maui.

Agree with above, to drop the islandhop
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 10:39 AM

The two islands are entirely different--Kauai warrants it's own extended stay. Too much to see and do in a day (or even three) on Kauai. I find Kauai to generally be much less commercial than Maui, while Maui may have more in the way of luxury hotels and better dining. However, with Princeville, the Hyatt and the Beach House, there's plenty of great options for lodging and eating on Kauai.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 12:13 PM

Kauai is wonderful. We stayed up in Hanalei and loved our visit. Great hiking and far less crowded than Maui.
Don't do a day trip.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 12:20 PM
DB

Because you have been to Maui (even though it's been a few years) go to Kauai instead, then you'll know which one you prefer.

Old Feb 5th, 2004, 12:28 PM

IMHO, Kauai is the most beautiful island, with the BI a close second. We don't care for Maui because of the crowds. Kauai is laid back and breathtaking in it's beauty.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 08:27 PM

Pardon me jumping on your post, but, does anyone have recommendations for a hotel, or know anything about the Hanalei Bay Resort on Kauai?
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 08:36 PM
gyppielou

If possible, one must return to 4S. Nothing like the feeling of returning home. Call ahead to the front desk, they have you on file, you will be upgraded. Yes you should go to Kauai, but why not get this return to home at the 4S under your belt and make an oath to check out Kauai next time since it is amazing and should not be rushed. The whole point of Kauai is to feel and breath island time. All in due time.............

Old Feb 7th, 2004, 09:30 PM

Kauai does not warrant a day trip. We love this island. If you have never been to Kauai, give yourself the time to enjoy it. A day trip is not enough.
With all this said, we are returning to Maui for a second time in two years because we have teen age sons and they seem to enjoy all the Maui has to offer.
Kauai is definitely more laid back, but my favorite overall. To each his own!
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 07:10 AM

I have been to Maui, Oahu, and Kauai several times for work and have managed to spend some time on each visit being a tourist. Kauai is by far my favorite island. So much so that I plan to get married there in July. Do not hurry a trip to this place.

Mark
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 09:38 AM

For Mark....where are you getting married on Kauai?
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 09:47 AM

I would definitly attempt to visit Kauai!! It is absolutely beautiful and not as crowded as Maui. Spectacular scenery, beaches, great resorts and good food. My advice? spend a few days on the BI and take 3-4 days to Kauai instead.