Notices

Oahu then Maui or Maui then Oahu

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 08:07 AM
sun

Oahu then Maui or Maui then Oahu

My wife and I are planning our honeymoon. We would like to do 4 days in Maui, then 6 days in Oahu, or vice-versa. While we love both of these islands, we are trying to decide which island to go to first. The touristy area of Honolulu doesn't bother us at all. I'd like to hear some opinions and thanks for your info.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 08:57 AM
dawn

My husband and I went to Oahu first for 6 days and then 4 to maui...bad mistake, we enjoyed maui so much more. The surroundings are more beautiful and quietness was awesome, not so many people on the beaches. In oahu, waikiki beach was crazy. If you and your wife like crowded streets and noise go to oahu longer, if not choose maui for the longer stay. And if you do the road to hana in maui, i suggest do not. Not worth spending your whole day driving 15-20 miles per hour and getting in near car accidents.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 09:13 AM
chip

Definitely Oahu before Maui. And really, if it were my trip, I'd do Oahu for 2 days, Maui for 8.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Lenore

My husband and I are doing the same two islands in April (1st trip to Hawaii). We're staying 5 and 5 with Ohau first. We chose this itinerary in order to get the fifth night free on both islands. Since absolutely EVERYONE on this site like Maui better, we decided to follow their advice and save the best for last. We will probably do a day trip to Big Island one of they days we're on Oahu. I think we planned this preety well....full report at the end of April!!

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 12:26 PM
karen

I agree with Chip; I would definitely do Oahu first, followed by Maui if these are your two island choices. However, I would spend no more than 3 of your 10 days on Oahu followed by spending the remaining time on Maui. I think you would be disappointed if you were to do Maui first - just my opinion. Additionally, after the lengthy flight, it is easier to stay put for the first few days without doing another island hop your first day as many people do who do not have the ability to fly directly into Maui.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Sally

I agree with the others. Oahu 1st then Maui. I would also not spend more than 3 days in Oahu....Honolulu is really just another big city. Maui is beautiful. It has quiet places plus LOTS of things to do on the West end of the Island.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Maureen

I totally agree that if you need to go to Oahu at all, go before you see Maui.

My first trip to Hawaii, we made the mistake of going to Maui first and then to Oahu. We were so depressed when we saw Oahu (I'm from LA so it felt like we had gone home) that we immediately found a return flight for the next day and went back to Maui for the rest of our vacation. That one night we spent in Oahu was awful. If we had not seen Maui, we would have had nothing to compare it to and would not have been so disappointed.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 01:58 AM
Linda

Can't comment on your itinerary, but don't discount Oahu completely, based on the above opinions. For natural beauty and relaxation, I can't imagine Maui is a whole lot better than the north and windward shores of Oahu. The windward shore, toward the (upper?) end of the island, is spectacular, with more beautiful deserted beaches than you can possibly see in one trip.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 08:25 AM
xxx

Spend a few more days in Maui instead of Oahu and do take the drive to Hana. Yes, the road is slow moving, but that's because it's so pretty along the way. Buy one of the descriptive audio tapes for the car and pack a picnic lunch. Stop along the way at the various waterfalls and enjoy some swimming.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Patty

sun,
It sounds like you have been to both Oahu and Maui before so I'm curious as to what kind of information you're looking for. Most of the responses I see seem to be directed toward the first time visitor.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Beth

Skip Oahu unless you are staying away from the crowds. If you stay in Oahu, stay at the Kahala. I would sugguest going to Kauai and Maui. I would definitly stay in Maui the longest or for the whole time.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 02:42 PM
xxx

I just wonder how many people who are saying skip Oahu did anything other than beach and hotel hop.

Ok people here is the drill. On Oahu you have many historically significant sites to understand more about the culture you are visiting. THIS IS A REASON TO VISIT OAHU. You have Iolani Palace, Queen Emmas Summer Residents, Missionary Settlement, Bishop Museum, Waimea Falls Park, Honolulu Academy of the Arts, Japanese Cultural Center, China Town.

Apart from this you have frequent rich cultural festivals that take place throughout the year in Kapiolani Park, University of Hawaii (Also recognized for Kabuki), various cultural centers.

Waikiki you want to learn about it's historical significance send away for Waikiki in the wake of dreams. There are other areas of the islands that are dramatic in landscape. I think a trip to Oahu is lost if you don't explore what I have mentioned above. I think those that have not visited Iolani Palace alone could easily say skip Oahu but they don't know what they are missing. P.S Let's not forget Pearl Harbor.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 04:28 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 06:26 AM
sun

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I appreciate it. We have decided to do 5 nights in Maui, then 5 nights in Oahu. We have never been to Maui but can't wait to get there and know we will absolutely love it. We have both been to Oahu before and loved it too. The big city didn't bother us at all. It's very easy to get away from the city and explore the beauty of the island. I've been to Kauai and loved it too and will definitely go back there some day. Maui is a must, I know, and we probably will not want to leave there, but there are many things that we want to do in Oahu too. I enjoyed reading everyone's responses and really appreciate them. Take care. By the way, what does "ttt" mean?

P.S. We would NEVER forget Pearl Harbor.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 08:37 AM
sss

ttt means topping post and "never forget" Hawaiian history also.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 08:38 AM
sss

well ttt does not mean never forget Hawaiian History I just thought it was important to add suggestion. Enjoy your trip!!!

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 09:58 AM
sss

Pss Heau North Shore, Alii birthing grown in fields along the way to North Shore. A book called "Concise version on Hawaiian history" only 86 pages long will help you appreciate the stories surrounding you on this visit.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 10:39 AM
sun

sss - Thanks for all of your information.

Thanks to everyone else again too.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 10:40 AM
sun

sss - Thanks for all of your information.

Thanks to everyone else again too!

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 10:41 AM
sun

OOPS! My last post posted twice, sorry about that. Peace.