Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

5 days Maui, 1 day Oahu, 4 days Kauai? or totally skip Oahu?

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, we have the option of staying for 1 day/1 night in Honolulu (using United miles on Aloha Airlines). Is it worth stopping for a day in Honolulu (to see Waikiki Beach, Pearl Harbor)? Or should we add this one day to Kauai (making our Kauai stay 5 days in all)?

Thanks!
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 10:55 AM

Unless you are looking to just relax on this vacation, I would spend the time on Oahu. We have always enjoyed the island very much - contrary to things we heard telling us to avoid it - and you have plenty of time to do and see things on Kauai.

It would be a little tight, but besides Pearl Harbor and Waikiki, I would take the south east look drive on Hwy 72 and the Pali Highway. Make stops to climb Diamond Head (if you are active), see the fantastic coastal views at Haunauma Bay, Sandy Beach, etc., then stop at the fantastic, almost mystical Nuuanu Pali Lookout.

Except for the Diamond Head climb, I know this doesn't take too long, because we once arrived at the airport to find out our flight was delayed 7 hours and we rented a car, made the loop drive with stops, ate at Roy's, and still made it back to the airport to see all the miserable people that had sat waiting for our flight.

I was not enthusiastic originally about going to Pearl Harbor, but it was a very moving experience. Even if you have to fly to Kauai in the afternoon on the next day, I highly recommend giving Oahu a chance. Good luck!
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 11:12 AM

A couple of considerations...do you think you'll be going back to hawaii in the near future? We knew we were coming back several times over a 10 year period so we waited to see Pearl Harbor until the last trip. I thought it was the best day spent - we'd had 1 or 2 days on Oahu before and done the north shore, snorkeling, pineapple planation, punchbowl, palace, etc. In addition to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona memorial, you can also tour the USS Missouri and USS Bowfin. Go early - see the big three and be done by 1pm - then you can go to the beach or drive to the north shore. Pearl is one place you shouldn't miss. You'll find beaches, waves, pineapples and snorkeling on the other islands....Pearl is a once in a lifetime place.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks HappyLC and cmeyer54! I appreciate the tips - it's good to know that Oahu will be worth a trip.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 09:19 PM
HG

I would definitely take at least a day if not 2 to see Oahu. Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Waikiki, Haunamua (?) Bay, the North Shore Beaches, etc etc. It is actually quite a beautiful island, often put down by people who never leave the crowded areas.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 09:50 PM

Aloha jmoy,

Just back from 10 days, just O'ahu... it's a wonderful island w/ more to do than you can possibly plan.

Save it for next time!

Old Apr 12th, 2004, 12:39 AM

I agree that Oahu (Honolulu) gets a bum rap. If you tour the Iolani Palace (as suggested above) you might also like to visit Queen Emma's Summer Palace, which is quite close to the Pali, so you could easily visit both. We also enjoy visiting the Byodo-In Temple on the windward side of the island.

You might enjoy visiting Chinatown. It's certainly the place to buy much less expensive leis!

There is a hop-on/hop-off bus which would give you an overview of points of interest.

Waimea Falls is also an interesting place.