Oahu, Hotel questions

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Sara

Oahu, Hotel questions

My fiance and I are planning on going to Oahu in Oct '03 for our wedding/honeymoon. In searching online, I have found that allot of the hotels are "near" the beach or "just steps away". We are not die-hard beach people, but we will want to go a few days. It is really necessary to go with a hotel that is ON THE BEACH. I have been looking at Outrigger Reef on the Beach, from what I can tell, it looks nice and it's within our budget. Any comments would be welcome.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 01:45 AM
jt

Virtually all hotels on Waikiki are within 3 blocks of the beach. 2 blocks away is fine.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 06:27 AM
Sarah

I think for the money the outside is not my ideal for a honeymoon never stayed. I would take that same money and rent a beach front condo in Lanikai, Kailua or the North Shore. For similar or less money I would book at the turtel bay on the north shore.

The outrigger on the beach has the shore bird buffet all you can eat 10 bucks. there are also vendors in front and along side of hotel. This is fine for a regular trip I like saving that money on breakfast but I would want something more special for a honeymoon. Does not mean that you need to go to five star but there are some very romantic locations for condos right on Oahu. I still dream into I picture I took on Lanikai two years ago with pink skys and a largely vacant beach. Love bellows and Kailua beaches even more, North Shore fagetaboutit! Wonderful beaches/views to explore.

Remember Waikiki is a city beach with city traffic, crowds, on the edge characters (colorful/exciting when you are in the mood, annoying when you are not up to the challenge). Just my take by no means the final word.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 06:50 AM
xxx

We have nicer beaches here on the Jersey Shore compared to Waikiki. I found most of their beaches to be incredibly small. I was disappointed with the Waikiki beach area and not sure what people were raving about. We stayed at the Hilton which has a nice size beach compared to the others. The North Shore has some really lovely beach areas.As a previous poster mentioned, looking into a condo there might be a good idea. Also, do a search for North Shore condos and you might find some good info.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 07:03 AM
Sarah

xxx I grew up in southern new jersey just 45 minutes from the shore, I also went to college and lived near the shore.

Saying the beaches are nicer in New Jersey is a super stretch. You don't have to jump out of the water because of raw sewage leeks, high pcb counts etc in Waikiki. Not picture perfect in Waikiki but compared to the Jersey shore, Waikiki is shangrala.

I have taken other New Jersians to Hawaii flying over Waikiki they thought it was beautiful, we stayed at HHV also. It was not their cup of tea but they were comparing with the North Shore of Kauai never ever the Jersey Shore. Not trying to burst your bubble, I only say this to others that don't know Jersey coast. I think the crowds are far greater at the Jersey shore and you are usually spitting distance from your neighbors even when paying $5000 for a weeks beachfront lodging. Thats been my experience.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 07:38 AM
xxx

Think I said nicer, did'nt mean nicest, which would mean that all our beaches on the Jersey Shore are the nicest/best, which they aren't. The beaches in Spring Lake, for example, for me, are far better than Waikiki beaches. So, Sara, if you don't mind staying in the heart of Waikiki with postage stamp size beachfronts, and sitting on top of other people, then you might like Waikiki. I still stand by the fact that the Jersey Shore has nicer beaches than Waikiki.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 07:44 AM
maggi

We loved the New Otani Kaimana Hotel. Kapiolani Park separates it from downtown but we had no trouble walking into Waikiki often. We had a 6th floor corner room overlooking Waikiki and the ocean with wrap around floor to ceiling glass and balcony. One of the tall palm trees almost nodded into our open doorwall. The room was not huge, but the view was the best. It is directly on Sans Souci beach and their restaurant the Hau Tree is on the beach with great views as well. You view our photos by going to:
http://community.webshots.com/user/maggiwun and clicking on Oahu.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 08:05 AM
Sarah

Agains just my opinion but I have to say
Not fair to compare a city beach (Waikiki) with a town beach (Spring Lake) a better example would be Atlantic City versus Waikiki.

Well I guess we do have different taste because I would not choose spring lake over more Southern New Jersey beaches. Have you ever been there when there has been a sewage leak or something is happening environmentally to close down the beach. Doesn't that make you worry about what you are not hearing about?

I like Long Beach Island, Ocean City in the 50's only, Avalon, Sea Isle City still would not trade them for a Waikiki. Don't know how you could give up that blue expanse or towering Diamond head.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 08:31 AM
xxx

Generally, people who grow up in my part of the Jersey Shore, don't leave.We have done very nicely growing up here on the beaches, and now taking our own kids for years to these same beaches. If there were such constant problems with our beaches, people would have left years ago, but they haven't, only very few. We do not go into a tizzy when there are sewage problems, which are not constant during a beach season. Would it be better to not have them at all? Of course.Are the Waikiki beaches completely, absolutely free of water problems? And, yes, of course, the views on Waikiki are far lovlier than the Shore.I just wish the beaches could be a bit nicer, in some areas, than what is advertised.For me the North Shore beats Waikiki any time.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 08:38 AM
Sarah

agreed

Just making conversation here not trying to offend.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 08:41 AM
Sarah

PS just for an FYI
Waikiki has a multibillion dollar hotel industry who's revenues count on clean water beaches (sure this influence is visible in the legislature)so no they don't have those water problems.

Those water issues are more pervasive in the canal and maybe they will appear in Waikiki in future years but I have no memories of closings on Waikiki due to environmental hazards.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 09:27 AM
patg

In reply to the ORIGINAL QUESTION, Sara McM, take a look at
wizardpub.com

Each island section has a slew of aerial photos of the resorts, so you can see what you are getting. The catch is that Oaku's site is not yet finished, but expected soon. You may want to keep checking back until the Oahu photos are posted.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 09:29 AM
x

don't need to rely on wizard pub for aerial shots most major hotels provide. Aerial shots are not really that helpful anyway. You want to focus on view and interior.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:04 AM
xxx

Sarah, point taken.