3 Nights/4 Days in Oahu

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Help Needed

3 Nights/4 Days in Oahu

would you stay in Waikaki or the North Shore?

Travelling solo and going to Oahu to do touristy things after a restful week in Kauai (End of Oct)

Originally figured to stay in Waikiki but now am rethinking plan. No matter what I will visit both. Pros/Cons welcome to help me decide.

Recommendations/Warnings for hotels also welcome. I was quoted $115 (Dlx OV)for the Aston Waikiki Sunset. On the North Shore, the Laie Inn (@$95) was mentioned by someone I don't really know well.

TIA

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 11:59 PM
jt

I always prefered Waikiki and you may crave some of it's activity and conveniences after sleepy Kauai. There are lots of competitive rates.

Laie Inn isn't on north shore, but upper east shore. It's a cinderblock right by the Polynesian Cultural Center theme park and Morman college and town. Remote, odd, but close to some intriguing things. A 10 min walk south has a cute little beach and cliffwalk. A 10 min walk north has a little stripmall with nice amenities. A 10 min walk west sometimes brings you to a free choir or some such concert on campus. Far from Honolulu, close to north shore.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 12:31 AM
Melissa

If this is your first time to Hawaii and you are looking for touristy things to do, Waikiki might be better. You can stay on the North Shore next time, or you can make a day trip out there this time. There is a lot more to do in 'town' than in Laie.....

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 03:25 AM
Duane

By all means stay on Waikiki Beach. I stay on the North Shore now, but I have stayed on Waikiki a few times. You can always take the bus or a car and go explore other parts of the island.
Duane

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Waikiki girl

I was just on Waikiki Beach Aug 2002, and stayed at the Moana Surfrider Hotel. It was great. Actually going BACK to Waikiki for Christmastime, and will stay at the same hotel. It's the best location of the beach for bodyboarding (I have kids into that), and the view of the beach & Diamond Head is beautiful. 2 years ago I stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. The beach there is not that great, and it's not really ON the water like the Surfrider is....Waikiki is a great people watching place...the sidewalk there! Good luck!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Mike

I'd vote for Waikiki as well - even if you don't like the scene, it's probably more convenient to other locations you might like to visit like Haunema Bay, Pearl Harbor and Lanikai Beach, although North Shore is not that long a ride away for a day trip. We stayed in Waikiki in July, but took one day for a leasurely drive along the North Shore including time at Waimea Beach - a definite top 10 beach!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Cath

I would not stay at the Laie Inn on a firts visit to Oahu, especially if you are coming from sleepy Kauai. Waikiki is a lot of fun, Laie is waaaaaaaaaaay too far from "the action" if that's what you are seeking on Oahu.

In my opinion, the north shore of Oahu pales in comparison to the north shore of Kauai.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Pauline

We will be staying on the north shore of Oahu this winter, but I'd love to spend a little time in Honolulu. My husband refuses to drive there. Our previous visits have been taxi rides from the airport for drinks on the beach at the Moana or the Royal Hawaiian and Thai food at Keo's. I'd like to see a bit more of the town. Any good ideas for a place to ditch the rental car and still see a few things? My map makes the Pali lookout look like it's just right outside of town. If so, is it congested to get to it?

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 03:19 PM
helen

When we have friends staying on the North Shore of Oahu we recommend they stay at the Turtle Bay Resort, instead of the Laie Inn. The Laie Inn is very convenient to a lot of things but hasn't had a substantial remodel in quite a few years, and property on the North Shore deteriorates faster than the rest of the island due to direct exposure to the trade winds. Stay at the Laie Inn only if you'll be out early and coming back late. If you will be spending some time on the hotel grounds go someplace else.

There is a lot of interesting things to see on the North Shore, though. The North Shore extends from Haleiwa to Kualoa, so technically Laie is on the North Shore. Like a prior poster mentioned the Laie Inn is right outside the main gate to the PCC. Sunset Beach and Pipeline are close-by. The town of Laie is quite historical.

Overall, most of our friends to the islands stay in Waikiki and drive or catch transportation to the places on the island they want to go. If I were a visitor to Oahu I would stay in Waikiki first and at Turtle Bay second.