nyc vegetarian restaurants

Old Apr 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nyc vegetarian restaurants

We'll be staying at the Courtyard Marriot Midtown East for a week this summer. Two questions: 1)Can you recommend some vegetarian restaurants? 2) We'll be driving to NYC after touring upstate New York. Where would be a good place to drop our rental car. We will be using city transportation while were in New York City.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:05 PM

Veggie restaurants

Hangawi-Korean, very, very, fine food

Caravan of Dreams

Angelica's

The best place to drop off the rental car is where there is a reantal car facility.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 05:35 AM

A lot of the rental car companies have offices in the west 70's. Check if your agency has one. That way you can enter the city via the Saw Mill River Parkway/Henry Hudson Parkway and jump off at west 79th St - and drive only a few blocks to the car rental office. Then just grab a cab to your hotel.

If not - then you need to ask them what your options are. It's easier to get rid of the car before you hit the heaviest traffic south of 59th St.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 05:36 AM

Sorry - as for vegetarian restaurants - there are tons - as well as ethnic places with lots of veggie choices.

If you go to menupages.com you can search by cuisine by neighborhood - and find actual menus and dine reviews.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Nytraveler, Thanks for the rental car suggestion. That's exactly what I needed to know--the best place to drop it off without getting into horrible traffic. We will probably be using Hertz, so I'm sure there is a drop off in the west 70's.

I have looked at some pages that list lots of veg restaurants in NYC. I guess I was looking for some personal recommendations not too far from our hotel.

Aduchamp1, thanks for your suggestions.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 08:10 AM

There is a terrific healthfood restaurant close to your hotel at 37th & 3rd Ave called Josie's. It's not strictly vegetarian, but they offer TONS of options and they emphasize organic, healthy ingredients. It's a pretty nice place...good choice for a fun dinner.

http://www.josiesnyc.com/josie_east/josie_east.html
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 01:44 PM

You are welcome.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 02:39 PM
mdn

LOTS of excellent veg places in NYC!! Depends on what you're looking for - high end & fancy (stuff one could never make at home) or more casual places that have amazing food. A lot of the best veg food tends to be at ethnic places.

Fancy/High End-
Gramercy Tavern - veg tasting menu. Several courses for $88 pp. BTW, this place is also my favorite restaurant in NYC & is an institution. It's been nominated this year for Best New Chef and Best Overall Restaurant in the country, to add the their list of accolades over the years.

Hangawi - Korean veg. Lots of root vegetables etc. that you don't encounter usually.

Ethnic and Casual Places -
Tiffin Wallah - home style Indian veg. and a mix of north & south Indian food. Very different from the usual heavy/greasy Indian buffet places.

Saravanaas(NE corner of 26th and Lexington) - The best south Indian food in the city.

Vegetarian Dumpling House - in Chinatown. Chinese food but purely veg. Creative use of tofu.

Pure Food & Wine - nouveau veg that's very well made and tasty!

I am a meat lover, but thoroughly enjoy eating at each of these places.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

mdn, these are exactly the type of places we're looking for. DH and I like vegetarian dishes, but eat other stuff. My 82 year old mother will be traveling with us, and she likes to find vegetarisn choises on menus. She is in super health and outwalks both of us...maybe it's because of all the veggies she eats?!? Thanks