COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

NYC car rental

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

NYC car rental

We are flying into JFK, renting a car, checking out "the country" and then need to ditch the car and head into Manhattan.
Where would be a good, convenient place to leave the car and get transportation into the city. This info would be helpful before researching car rental rates. Thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:38 PM

Depends where you mean by "the country". Are you going to Long Island, north to Connecticut or Westchester, or elsewhere? If you give some specifics about where you're going, I can give you some ideas as to where to ditch the car.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:14 PM

And depending on what "country" you're checking out, you may not need (or want) a rental car. The LIRR services just about all of Long Island, and Metro North goes up the Hudson as well as into Westchester and beyond. Check out the MTA website for more info.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 08:03 AM

some, but not all, rental car companies do not have a surcharge for dropping off in the city if you pick up the car at the airport. Check first if that's what you plan to do. One rental car company (Enterprise?) that I used had an airport location but it closed very early so they would not let me drop off at the airport (I picked up my car in the city).
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

We definitely want a car for the 4 days before we head into Manhattan. There's 3 of us and we'll be checking out Long Island and maybe Hudson area. Maybe we should just try for a car pick-up JFK and drop somewhere downtown Manhattan.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 05:34 PM

Without knowing exactly where you'll be its hard to make a recommendation. If you stay on Long Island the simplest thing might be to drop the car off at LaGuardia - if the company doesn't charge extra for picking up at one airport and dropping at another. It's very easy and cheap to get into Manhattan from there. Coming from upstate it's a little more difficult - you might be able to drop in White Plains or Yonkers and come into the city on MetroNorth - very fast and cheap - depending on if the car rental company has a location there - and assuning there's no drop off charge.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 05:54 PM

JFK would be the least convenient place to drop off the car as getting into NYC from there, with bags, can be a pain. Although, the new train line may alleviate some of the hassle.

Unless it is extremely expensive, I'd opt for dropping off the car in Manhattan after your bucolic excursion. Besides, if you do head North after LI, you could avoid the need to head back to JFK.

One note if you do wind up taking the car into NY for dropoff, there are relatively few gas stations in Manhattan. Either gas up before heading into Manhattan or pay for the gas upfront and avoid the need to fill up the tank at the end.

FYI, if you do head to Long Island, the North Fork, in and just past the town of Riverhead, has several wineries. They are reasonably close together, though you will need to drive. Most do tastings and the wine is surprisingly decent.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 04:11 AM

I'd also check how much more the rate is returning in the city. Might be worth it.