Search

NYC Trip Itenerary

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Trip Itenerary

I am taking my first trip to NYC next week with my dad. He's been before but it's been 20 years so we're both wanting to see the main tourist spots (and see as much as possible). Here's our plan:

Thursday- We arrive around noon. tour midtown (Grand Central, UN, Chrysler, St. Patrick's) then head to Times Square area for dinner and Madison Square Garden afterwards for a concert

Friday- take early boat to Ellis Island, tour the museum there and see Statue of Liberty (not planning on stopping),
lunch in downtown area and visit WTC site, Wall Street (maybe the museum of american finance, any other suggestions?- i'm really into stock market, etc.), see Brooklyn Bridge (walk across if time allows, and head to Yankee Stadium for the Yankees/ Red Sox game

Saturday- Little Italy (San Genarro Festival- is this worthwhile?) and Chinatown, possibly catch a matinee play, and go to the Top of the Rock at sundown.

Sunday morning (leaving in the afternoon)- Central Park

Is this manageable? We are both in good shape and up for a lot of walking.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Also any suggestions on cheap places to eat would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Don;t know what you mean by cheap, or what cuisines you want - but NYC has tons of great inexepsnive restaurants.

Your best bet is to stay away fromTimes square and midtown - where food is usually more expensive and often not as good quality.

Suggest you have a look at New York Magazine web site which has a list of good inexpesnive places - but most are downtown. Also you can check menupages.com - which lets you search by neighborhood and cuisine and gives diner reviews and actual menus.

For the Yankee stadium nith you will be eating there - since you should try to get there 2 hours in advance - both to see Momument Park and to allow for juge crowds and long security lines. Note you can't bring any backpacks or sizeable packages in with you.

Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Your trip sounds great! My sister and I took our first NYC trip in July, 2004. It was wonderful! The highlight, though, had to be the excellent experience we had with our "Big Apple Greeter" (go to bigapplegreeter.org) and FAQs will give you all of the information you need. Hartmut Munker, a retired Wall Street stock broker, was our Greeter; you are matched with someone who shares your interests (you decide and they match you). They do not meet you on your very first day in NYC, but ours met us at our midtown Manhattan hotel the following day. The goal, in part, is to get people to use the subways (Metro Transit) and see how easy it is to get around. We visited the WTC site, the famous church where the rescue workers rested, Wall Street, Battery Park, and many other exciting places. We didn't go to Ellis Island, as it was scheduled to open the following month. The program is educational, exciting and our Greeter was SO personable, offering up many personal experiences in his many years of NYC residence. Have a great trip!
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:14 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to NYC for the first time a couple of years back. I have posted a trip report with pictures and links on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/new_york_city_trip_report.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there. I have also writte a bit about the places we went to to eat at night.

Have a great trip

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures