Search

NYC trip in Nov05

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC trip in Nov05

I am planning a 2nd annual "drink-party-shoptoyoudrop" trip for 4 30-something girls. We are staying 2 nights in Soho and 3 nights in Midtown. I am looking for the latest and greatest bars and restaurants for pre-drinks, mid priced food, and sophisticated club scene. Any advice from my well respected Fodorites ? ... V
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 08:49 AM

On days we're doing the theater we always do a late lunch and then dinner afterwards. It's much more comfortable - and less sleep-inducing - to see a show when you have not just had a big dinner. (We take a nice long walk after going out to dinner whenever possible to help work off some of those calories.)
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 08:57 AM

take it away, gekko....
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 12:46 PM

Spend at least one night in the Meatpacking District (preferably not Fri or Sat), one night in the West Village and one night on the LES. On the LES, eat at Stanton Social or Thor. Have drinks at the bar with no name on Little W 10th in the Meatpacking, and eat at Fatty Crab or Pastis. In the WV, eat at the Spotted Pig (apparently I am recommending places named after animals today) and have a drink at Employees Only (there's no sign, it's the place with the fortune teller in the window). As for clubs, most of the hot ones are in far West Chelsea, I think Home is probably my favorite right now, though it's not really my scene. Dine at Tia Pol or Cookshop beforehand.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so far for the replies. Last year we went for dinner at Craft, Gotham, Tribeca Grill, Markt, and Brunch at 11 Madison Ave, and Good.
We plan to hit Morgan's Bar and Asia de Cuba just for the fun of it, and try Mas, and kikilee's LES & MP suggestions (thanks !). Any recommendations for Sunday Brunch ? Does anyone recommend Thom Bar, Bar 89, AER, or Gaslight for a 30-40 something bar scene ? Guggenheim or MOMA this November ? All responses are welcome ... V in TOronto
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 09:33 AM

For brunch in Soho: Balthazar or Zoe. Balthazar is the more popular spot, but I like the food better at Zoe. Reservations are essential for either!

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 09:49 AM

First, some feedback on previous suggestions.

Mario Batali's "gastropub," The Spotted Pig, is mediocre at best. Skip it.

Pastis is old news, ancient. Please, skip it (or go for lunch).

Bar 89, famous for its bathrooms, was great in about 1999. Same with Gaslight.

Thor and Fatty Crab are excellent suggestions. After Thor, go to Back Room.

Otherwise, what type of scene are you looking for in the evenings, and what nights will you be out? With so many options, it's tough to make suggestions without further guidance.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 10:07 AM

Not gonna argue about Spotted Pig (I think it is a solid choice for the neighborhood, but certainly don't see it as a Michelin star), but Pastis? Ancient, yes, but a classic.

Aer will likely have a younger crowd.

As for brunch, suggest Jane or Five Points.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 10:12 AM

Also, the already popular Thor is reviewed in the Times today (Bruni gives it 2 stars), so it'll be tough to get reservations for awhile, particularly on amateur nights (Fri & Sat).
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

We will be staying in NYC Thurs-Tuesday, mid Nov05 and we are 4 30-something single professional well-traveled women. For brunch and dinners we prefer chic urban establishments with unique NYC dining experiences and an overall warm "social" (ie we are single) atmosphere. Please suggest moderate-expensive selections. For evening we prefer trendy bars and clubs with jazz, alternative, or Euro sounds. Areas: SoHo, West Village, LES, Tribeca, Chelsea. Example: Just from reading reviews, I like Mas, Blue Water Grill (Brunch?), Blue Smoke, Fresh, Danube, Gramercy Tavern (Brunch?), and The Cub Room. What would you recommend ? Thank you in advance ... V
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 01:20 PM

ttt topping