NYC eats for lone female

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC eats for lone female

Hi everyone. I'm visiting NYC on my own next week, for the second time. Last time I had a ball looking at the sights, but was a little stuck as to what to do in the evening. This time I've decided I'll definitely muster up the courage to go out for meals (after all I do every time I visit London on business)! So, can anyone recommend anywhere that I may go that isn't too fancy and where I wouldn't look too out of place on my own. Somewhere that's lively and good for people watching would be perfect. I'm staying in Midtown Manhattan and enjoy all types of food, especially pizza and ethnic foods. Thanks in advance
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 04:25 AM

There are plenty of great eats in midtown and I doubt you would feel out of place at most of them. Midtown is a pretty large area, though, so I'll recommend some places on the west side and some on the east side. There are tons of sushi places in midtown where I'm sure you could eat at the sushi bar without anyone batting an eye.

On the west side, there are lots of great ethnic eats on 9th ave. I like Pietrasanta for Italian. I think it's around 49th? I also like Uncle Nick's (I think that's what it's called). It's a greek place with lots of grilled fish. Rue 57 on 57th and 6th is a French bistro.

On the east side, you might try one of my faves, Fresco. It is loud and popular, but the Scotto family will treat you like a member of theirs.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:01 AM

The other great thing about NYC is there is no smoking in restaurants and bars. I often eat alone at the bar, which allows you to chat with the bartender or sit quietly. I do this often in NYC. Grammercy Tavern, Gotham Grill and Craft all are great places to dine alone.

I also like the upscale diners, like the Mayrose near Union Square.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:09 AM

I agree with MikeT that eating at the bar in many restaurants is a nice way to dine alone. You can chat with the bartender,other patrons or at some places, watch TV. Joe Allen's on restaurant row in the theater district would be ideal. A lot of actors go in there alone. The best people watching there is generally later, after the shows let out.

If you like Japanese, virtually every place has a sushi bar (and you don't have to eat just sushi there).

For pizza, try Trattoria Dell 'Arte. They have a big antipasto bar in the front of the rest. if you don't want to sit at a table alone and their thin crust pizza is excellent.

Don't forget that going to the theater is easy to do alone and often you can get great tickets if you only need one.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:23 AM

We took some clients last night to a restaurant called DavidBurke and Donnatella that would be perfect for what you want. The bar area can be quite the NY scene. The staff is extremely polite and will certainly be happy to serve you their signature appetizer "Crispy Angry Lobster" at the bar. It's on East 62nd between Park and Lexington. One suggestion, go by 6 as the bar really got crowded by the time we left a few hours later.

Depending on which side of Midtown you're on, you'll find plenty of places along 2nd Avenue in the mid-50's or 9th Avenue in the West 40's and low 50's that would be more then accomodating for someone grabbing a bite at the bar. For the East side, Zarela's on 2nd and 51st fits the bill for great Mexican.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 09:19 AM

I also agree about eating at the bar. It somehow feels more comfortable than sitting at a table by yourself. Delta Grill (Cajun food, 48th & 9th) is a good place for this...the bar is lively, food is good, bartenders are nice, & I always seem to meet people there. Go to Gramercy Tavern's bar if you want to treat yourself with really great (& expensive) food. There are some "Old NY" bars further downtown which have great food too...Old Town Bar (for burgers or nachos), Ear Inn (great chili, & everything else on the menu is pretty good too), and Walker's (everything on the menu is excellent). These three are good for socializing too, especially Walker's.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:28 AM

Seconding (or thirding, fourthing, whatever) the bar idea. I like Molyvos for solo dining - the olives at the bar are divine, and the bartenders generally friendly. A nice fish and a glass of retsina - oh man. Finish with their huge pinwheel baklava and they'll have to roll you out the door. If you're still somewhat self-conscious, you could always bring a folded section of the Times - I've done this before to start conversations with the tender and my neighbors. I think it's safe to say New Yorkers like to talk about New York... Have a great time.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:37 AM

John's Pizza in the west Village. It's casual and there's sort of a bar up through the middle that would be perfect for a solo diner. Also, go to Grand Central's food court. Lots to choose from, noisy place, many solo travelers dining alone. And just a great place to be.

Grab a book at the Strand bookstore then head on up to one of the restaurants on the way to Union Square. Take a seat and read.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:39 AM
GoTravel

I've eaten solo at Trattoria Dell Arte on numerous occaisions. Second mclauries advice.

Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to eveyone who replied, I'll be taking your advice about eating at the bar and hope to visit at least a couple of the places suggested, John's Pizzeria and Trattoria Dell 'Arte as they both fit in nicely with the rest of my itinerary. If I get chance I'll also check out Zarela’s and Fresco.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:12 AM

Another solid endorsement of the bar at Gramercy Tavern. You just can't do any better than that in New York.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Mmm, yes the menu at the Gramercy Tavern looks heavenly. I'm very impressed with menupages.com. Such a good idea, I wish we had something like that in the UK. Although if I'm not careful I'll have this trip planned down to the last mouthful!